User:Alex Ionescu/Alex's 0.3.0 'User Wow Factor' Ideas
< User:Alex Ionescu
Revision as of 17:49, 2 August 2005 by WaxDragon (Added bugzilla link to bug 745)
Here are some totally non-technical (or easy to implement) ideas to make 0.3.0 much more user-friendly, even if only on the surface:
- Ship with Freeldr timeout set to 0. Freeldr is both ugly, overly-confusing for true newbies, and makes booting seem longer.
- Use a new Boot Logo, using the blue/white color scheme and logos that have recently been developed.
- Boot at 800x600 instead of 640x480. Fallback if impossible.
- Prettify the Wizard a bit ==> Use XP-Style Wizard (all that's needed is the large backdrop app, the dialog can stay on top)
- Install some basic apps, like the mozilla control.
First Boot and forward
- Boot with a nice desktop wallpaper... something really catchy.
- Boot with a readme file on the desktop, as well as icons for My Computer, My Network Places, Recycle Bin and IBrowser icon. They should all open the appropriate shell namespace.
- Support adding new shortcuts to the desktop.
- Start menu should be prettified a bit as well. Make some stuff bigger.
- Use a CONSISTENT ICON SET!
- Center taskbar buttons... this has been a bug in explorer ever since it exists!
- Fix icon loading so that icons show up right in the Title Bar/TaskBar Bug 475
- Support transparent text labels for desktop icons.
- Have a working network panel!
...more to come...