- 1 The Idea
- 2 Motivation
- 3 Project Status
- 4 Guidelines for the game project
- 5 Gameplay
- 6 The Story
- 7 Characters
- 8 Weapons
- 9 Links to other game projects for reference
- 10 Contributers
- 11 Preview of Super Reacty
I think ReactOS should have its own game. A simple 2D game, maybe something like XBill would be cool. The game project should be a seperate project and it should not take time away from development of ReactOS. When the game is ready it could (or could not) be included in ReactOS. But the more interesting thing here is that everyone can run the game in Windows too and if they have never heard about ReactOS, after they have played the game they may become interested in the ReactOS Project. So the motivation of the game project is to promote ReactOS. The game should give a positive impression of ReactOS, so it should not be too agressive against MS.
The main reason for this game project is to promote ReactOS. Many big companys have games that promote their products; why should ReactOS be any different? Even the US army has their own game (America's Army). UN has a game called Food-force and so on.
We have decided to do a simple side-scrolling jump'n'run game. From now on we will use all of our resources to get more ideas for the game and forget the other game ideas. We still need to decide who will be the project coordinator and head designer and also whether SuperTux will be the base of our project or is there some better one to use for a side-scrolling jump'n'run game.
- Started brainstorming. Gathering ideas and contributors.
- Suggesting game ideas.
- Commenting game ideas.
- Voting which game idea to choose (vote here: http://reactos.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=649 )
Results: ReactRacer (TuxRacer with ReactOS art) 12% [ 5 ]
ReactBubble (Frozen Bubble with ReactOS art) 10% [ 4 ]
Super Reacty. A simple side-scrolling jump'n'run game (with ReactOS art) 53% [ 21 ]
Paintball 10% [ 4 ]
ReactFighter 12% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 39
- Week 19-20 Getting more ideas for Super Reacty. A simple side-scrolling jump'n'run game (Improving the idea).
- Week 21 Choosing the platform for the game (Maybe getting something from another project).
- Week 21 Choosing the project-manager from one of the contributors.
- Week 22 Starting sf.net project for the game.
- Do some initial art work.
- Choose chief artist.
- Coding (If the chosen platform is good, we may not need alot of coding).
- First demo (Some ReactOS Art implemented to chosen platform).
How to Proceed
- Download the source package supertux-0.1.2.tar.bz2 from here and take a look at "data/images/shared".
<Add any ideas on how we can make progress in this game project (Tasks, things to do,...)>
Guidelines for the game project
- Positive promotion for ReactOS included in the game (Not too agressive against MS).
- Includes ReactOS logo or Reacty or both (important for Windows users who do not know ReactOS).
- May also include other references to ReactOS (Important for Windows users who do not know about ReactOS).
- Works in both Windows and ReactOS (This should be easy).
- Addictive (You would want to play it forever.)
- Fast project, not too complex of a game (6 to 12 months?).
- Should not take time from ReactOS developers (People who have no kernel skills could contribute).
- Simple controls.
- Does not need long study before you can play it.
- Should appeal to casual gamers.
- Levels (or whatever) should be kept short to enable casual gaming. (You should be able to play the game every now and then without losing track of the game/story). Maybe even show replay of 10 last seconds since save/quit before actually letting the player play. ("Previously seen on Reacto") [crap]
Here are a few game ideas. Add your comments for any idea or add your own suggestions for the game.
- Super Reacty. A simple side-scrolling jump'n'run game (with ReactOS art)
- Platform: SuperTux.
- Something like Super Mario, Giana Sisters, etc. (RomanH)
- Could include Reacty as the main character. (RomanH)
- Enemies could be pieces of bloatware and malware (Gracefully depicted and drawn, of course). (AcetoliNe)
- Enemies could also be bugs in the system, which you have to destroy. (AcetoliNe)
- ReactOS logo and webaddress should be included in the end demo.
- Reacty has many tools to aid him on his trip.
- Strategy: Not only run from left to right, but complete different tasks in each level (Pick up upgrade, "fix" some bugs, close security hole, ...).
- <your comments here>
- Other game ideas ReactOS_Game/Other_Game_Ideas
Reacty is lost in "OS-land" and finding his way to the net. Reacty is small and not really noticed by the larger OSs. His mission is to find the coders that will set the world free, He must find the core coders on the way and the coders will help him to grow bigger, (Version number goes up after Reacty visits coders. Coders to have familiar names and tasks) and pass through different kinds of hitches (Other operating systems have set up barriers and blocks on the way). Once Reacty has visted all the coders he will be able to pass through the gateway and onto the net. There are also alot of evil bugs, malware and bloatware that are trying to kill Reacty. In the end Reacty will find his way into safe and familiar ReactOS operating system and he can make ReactOS even better and more compatible by using all the information gathered on his trip. (Sami, remixed by Headstrong)
- Level 0 (Introduction)
- Easy start level that introduces Reacty and maybe ReactOS somehow. This might be first step for the game (Some sort of demo).
- Level 1 <???>
- Level 2 <???>
- Level 3 <???>
- Level 4 <???>
- Level 5 <???>
- Level 6 <???>
- Level 7 <???>
- Level 8 <???>
- Level 9 <???>
- Level 10 (Final level)
Who is Reacty?
Reacty is the main character of this game. Reacty is a small and friendly character that lives inside ReactOS and helps the users.
Pictures of Reacty
Here are a few suggestions for the main chracter "Reacty" from users on forum:
Bug is one of the enemys of Reacty...
Pictures of Bug
A device that emits patches and bugfixes, the patch shooter can be used to destroy bugs and patch security holes in the system. (AcetoliNe) Security holes could be large holes (or canyons) in the landscape Reacty is not able to pass. In order to get to the next stage he has to find the right patch. (dgr)
After consuming this pill, Reacty can successfully avoid infection with malware for a limited time (until the virus definitions expire) :). (AcetoliNe)
When antivirus pill is obtained, Reacty's electrons should change to a different color and glow brighter, possibly circle faster. This would show some resemblance of a "force field". (Mammlouk)
Links to other game projects for reference
http://stratagus.sourceforge.net/ (an RTS engine)
http://wouter.fov120.com/cube/ (a FPS engine + rudimentary game)
http://laser.narr.as/laser.swf (a flash puzzle game. not an open source project)
- Project coordinator:? <To be decided>
- Head designer:? <To be decided>
- Graphic artists:? <Add your name>
- Animation artist: ? (If needed?)
- Music artist:? <Add your name>
- Coders:? <Add your name>
- Other contributors (Brainstorming and general support):
Please move your name into appropriate category (May be also in several categories).
RomanH (Whatever is needed. Some programming skills (C), SDL knowledge, Paint Shop Pro knowledge).
Floyd (Content designer: war2, war3, Quake2, Quake3, neverwinter) (Basic coding skills: c++, php) (Basic Photoshop skills)
AcetoliNe (Artwork: 2d, 3d)(Basic coding skills: c, c++)
Harteex (Basic c/c++ skills, experienced in php (If it is to any use), some art, ideas and general support ;))
Mammlouk (Brainstorming and General Support)
anarkis (Experienced coding skills: c/c++, asm, php, ddraw, opengl)(Basic pixel skills)(Basic tracking/musical skills)
whitehornmatt (I make a similar game based on SuperTux about a burger, and know how the game works pretty well, I can do graphics, slight code modifications (like character names), and possibly music (I made some for my other game (Super Burger World ))
<Add your name or alias and skills here>
Preview of Super Reacty
This is what you see if you simply replace some of the character images in your SuperTux directory: