RAPPS, previously known as Download!, is a small program that allows users to download multiple programs without hassle. It now provides a selection of programs, but for some people it is not enough.
Some people may complain why there is no his/her favourite application in the RAPPS list.
This Tutorial will try to cover the basic functionality of the list and the specific list entries in the files.
How It Works
When you first start RAPPS, it will automatically connect to the internet, and it will seek for the file "rappmgr.cab". Then, it will extract the contents of this archive file to the same location where main RAPPS executable is, creating a folder called "rapps". The contents of the archive are just .txt files, saved in utf-8 format.
Every single file that is on download list in RAPPS, has it's own "description" file.
Custom files must be placed in rapps folder created after .CAB file download. .TXT file names can be anything, but it's best to make them somehow correspond to the software they are relative to. Custom files need to be saved in UTF-8 format, or some specific languages will be displayed strangely.
Here is a description file that corresponds to the DosBox program:
; UTF-8 [Section] Name = DOSBox Version = 0.74 Licence = GPL Description = DOSBox is a DOS emulator. Size = 1.38MB Category = 15 URLSite = http://www.dosbox.com/ URLDownload = http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.net/project/dosbox/dosbox/0.74/DOSBox0.74-win32-installer.exe CDPath = none [Section.0407] Description = DOSBox ist ein DOS Emulator. [Section.040a] Description = DOSBox es un emulador de DOS. [Section.040c] Description = DOSBox est un émulateur DOS. [Section.0415] Description = DOSBox - emulator DOSa. [Section.0422] Description = DOSBox - емулятор DOSу.
Let's analyze it from top to the bottom.
This is a comment that reminds users/developers, that the file should be saved in UTF-8 format.
This is the beggining of the area that is read when user click on the name of the program that he chooses to download. It consist's of several things:
This is the program name that is displayed in the list, and in the lower grey description field.
This is the version of the program, also displayed in the list and in the lower field.
The licence that the program is based on. Typical options are : Trial, Demo, Freeware, Open-Source.
The description of the program For example : "A program that emualate older hardware to run older games".
Size of the program. Template: NUMBERUNIT For example "223MB"
The category of the program. Category name correspond to the number. There are 15 categories for now:
- 1 - Sound - Software for recording, playing, modify, convert sound
- 2 - Video - As above but applies to video and movies
- 3 - Graphics - As above, but graphics and images
- 4 - Games and Entertainment - There are games, emulators for games
- 5 - Internet and Networks - Browsers, IM clients, FTP software, Remote desktop...
- 6 - Office stuff - Software that is used in the Office for example Open Office
- 7 - Developement / programming - programs used for compiling, and source writing for example Devc++
- 8 - Education - Programs that help in teaching, learning. For example dictionaries, translators
- 9 - Engineering - Programs simmilar to CAD, SolidWorks (tm)
- 10 - Financial - Programs for financial stuff, TRade monitors, database systems for warehouses e.t.c
- 11 - Science - For programs that makes simulations, helps in the Chemistry, Physics....
- 12 - Tools - Utilities for users for example archiving software
- 13 - Drivers - Files for the devices that are installed in the system
- 14 - Libraries - Files that are needed to run some programs like Visual Basic and .NET
- 15 - Other - programs that did not fit in above categories
Main web site where the program can be found.
Direct link to the installer/program
I don't know yet what it is but it seems to be relative to CD
Specific language of the description, based on the host system language settings, when host language is different that languages in the file, English is choosen by default (If You talk Spanish, and there is no such entry avaliable in the file, software description will be displayed in English).