Install ReactOS on Xbox
Installing is fairly simple.
- You should be able to transfer files to Xbox's HDD somehow (best is FTP server, Linux running on Xbox (http://xbox-linux.org) but you can also attach the HDD to your PC – manuals for this are located on the same great http://xbox-linux.org site.
- Your knowledge how to run custom software on the Xbox (you can gain it from the same site).
Steps to install
- Copy freeldr.ini/freeldr.sys into root directory of E: drive.
- Copy ReactOS folder from where you have it working (virtual machine, real hdd) to ReactOS folder on E: drive.
- Run modified cromwell (which allows to boot ReactOS or Linux) – you can either flash it to the bios (if you have a modchip, it works very well) or write to the C: drive as .xbe file and run it using a dashboard.
Things to remember
- Don't forget to detach your xpad controller because currently reactos won't boot with it.
- Attach your keyboard and mouse before booting into reactos (well, hotplug should work too, but since whole usb stack is now in experimental mode it may not work).
- It's just fun for now, nothing else. You can browse your Xbox's hdd in explorer, as if it's just a pc computer, you can even do some very simple things, but not very much really. But with time – when we finish nvidia network card driver, it's gonna become more interesting since possibilities are endless – there are so plenty of software for Win32 that there is definately something cool you may want to try to run on your Xbox :-)
In the perspective XQEMU project can be used to virtualize target platform and to test ReactOS Xbox port on regular PC via emulation.
- ReactOS Forum topic
- An article on Slashdot
- ReactOS running on Xbox (photo)
- ReactOS running on Xbox (video)
|In active development||Intel IA-32 (x86) | AMD64 (x64)|
|In slow development||NEC PC-98 (x86) | Xbox (x86)|
|Unmaintained||ARM32 (armv7) | PowerPC (ppc) | OLPC (x86)|
|Missing ports that Windows has||ARM64 (aarch64) | Intel IA-64 (Itanium) | SGI 320/540 (x86) | DEC Alpha (axp) | MIPS|