The current configuration of the whole server has proved problematic. Therefore there are some modifications planned:
- Gentoo instead of Fedora Core as operating system. Well, it's a personal preference of mine, I'm just not too happy with FC. Plus, emerging will be a pleasure with 8 cores :-)
- Kernel update. The current kernel wastes plenty power because it doesn't feature dynamic ticks and such.
- ccache. Should improve compile times greatly.
- New hard disk configuration. The current RAID5 wastes power too because no hard disk can spin down. I will reinstall the whole system on the first disk, using the other two as a backup storage in RAID1.
- No VM for ReactOS anymore. I was thinking about changing to KVM because it's supported in vanilla kernels, but after looking at a few benchmarks I guess it's best to abandon such gadgetry.
- ISO creation on the download server. At the moment, the ISO files are generated on the build servers, and then rsynced onto the download server. That's better than uploading via FTP, but only transferring single files and creating & zipping the ISO files on the download server would be even better.
|Start date (UTC)||End date (UTC)||Reason|
|01.10.2007 ~15:00||01.10.2007 ~21:00||
|05.09.2007 07:55||05.09.2007 08:30||
|04.09.2007 21:05||04.09.2007 21:10||
|25.08.2007 16:00||25.08.2007 17:00||
|28.06.2007 15:00||28.06.2007 18:00||
|27.06.2007 21:30||28.06.2007 15:00||
scheduled downtime that has not occured yet
scheduled downtime that has occured
unscheduled downtime that is occuring right now
unscheduled downtime that has occured
|CPU||2x Intel Xeon 5310|
|Memory||Kingston ValueRAM FB-DIMM 8 GB DDR2-667|
|Hard disks||3x 305GiB, 1x 27GiB|
/dev/md0: RAID5 (3x 297GiB); /dev/md1: RAID0 (3x 1027MiB)
|Host operating system||FC7|
|VM operating system||FC7|
- May 2007: We finally got a replacement mainboard from Alternate, not the one we sent in, but a very similar one, so the server is now back up. The object files are now placed on a RAID0 with three disks, improviving the build time from ~15 to ~10 minutes.
- March 2007: As long as the new server doesn't work, the old server is back online.
- February 2007: Martin comes up with the idea to put plenty new SATA hard disks into the server, but the old mainboard has no SATA support, so the whole server needs to be replaced. The ReactOS team decides to co-fund the upgrade and instead of consumer level hardware, a full-blown Xeon QuadCore server is bought. Due to problems with the online shop, it took a few weeks to get the new server up and running - only to find out that the mainboard sometimes simply won't boot and has to be sent back for replacement.
- Long ago: Christoph installs the buildbot on Martin's private server, then an old AMD 800MHz with 512 MB RAM. The RAM is later upgraded to 1024MB, the CPU is replaced with a Sempron 2500+.