To build ReactOS, you will need a suitable build environment.
As the current ReactOS Source Code is only compatible with specific versions of the compiler tools, only the official ReactOS Build Environment (RosBE) is supported by us.
So if you want to report problems, please first make sure that you use the latest version of the ReactOS Build Environment.
Download the Build Environment
There are two ReactOS Build Environments available, a version for Windows NT-compatible Operating Systems (Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003, ...) and a version for Unix-compatible operating systems (Linux, FreeBSD, ...).
- Unix-compatible operating system (tested ones include Debian GNU/Linux (4.0), Fedora (8), FreeBSD (6.2), Mac OS X (10.5), openSUSE (10.2), Ubuntu (7.04), Gentoo (Linux 2.6.24-gentoo-r3))
- gcc and g++ 3.4.x or later as a host compiler
Additionally, a Subversion client is needed to obtain the current source from the ReactOS Subversion repository. Read that page for more information. For newer build Environments on Windows (0.3.7+), go into the empty ".\Source" directory and type "ssvn create" to download the ReactOS source.
After setting up your build environment, see Building ReactOS for futher information.
You may want to use an IDE, so refer to this page.
Simple utility for managing different directory locations. SCUT can be used to quickly change from one directory to another inside the BE prompt, making it easier to go to source in another directory. Included in both the Windows and Unix BEs. You can pass the following parameters to scut:
- list: Lists all shortcuts currently available.
- add: Adds a shortcut to the list.
- edit: Edits a shortcut on the list.
- rem: Removes a shortcut from the list.
- def: Switches to the default directory location, which is enabled on every start of RosBE.
If you want to use a directory shortcut, for example one with the name trunk, just enter scut trunk and the program will switch to the directory you set for this shortcut.
Questions or Problems?
If you have problems or questions concerning the Build Environment, it's the best to ask in the #reactos-rosbe IRC channel.