An alternative implementation of core Win32 subsystem components. This is NOT designed to replace the ReactOS Win32 subsystem, instead it is a temporary solution that may become irrelevant when the Win32 subsystem is finished.
Checkout the arwinss branch (svn://svn.reactos.org/reactos/branches/arwinss/reactos), and compile using following command:
makex user32 gdi32 win32k winent win32csr freetype kernel32 explorer winlogon
This will build you all needed modules of a new subsystem, which you need to copy over to the installed ReactOS version. Modified kernel32.dll is needed only for a compatible global atoms support.
If you want to build winex11 module, you need to firstly copy lib/3rdparty/libX11/libX11.a file from your working copy to the obj-i386/lib/3rdparty/libX11 directory (creating it if it doesn't exist). This will fix the winex11.drv linking issues, and you can just type
to build this optional module.
IMPORTANT: Set your display bit depth to 32bpp and resolution to 800x600.
Arwinss uses parts of Wine architecture, and parts of Windows NT architecture in appropriate places and in a good way. A detailed description is provided on a standalone page called Arwinss architecture.
It consists of the following modules, one of them being optional (winex11.drv):
- dll/3rdparty/freetype - implements usermode font rendering (FreeType library, with small ros glue), used by gdi32.dll
- dll/win32/user32 - implements USER API
- dll/win32/gdi32 - implements GDI API
- dll/win32/winent.drv - implements native graphics and user drivers
- dll/win32/winex11.drv - implements X11 X-windows graphics and user drivers
- subsystems/win32/win32k - implements kernel mode counter part of the native graphics driver and a kernel mode USER server.
- subsystems/win32/csrss/win32csr - implements needed parts of the CSR subsystem along with handling user input
Most of the hacking happens in winent.drv and win32k.sys, with very rare fixes to the user32/gdi32 (mainly, because it's a tested Wine's code with only minor changes).
Convention for marking changes. C++ code comments (//) mean that the place has some special mark up for debugging. A typical use is for a
// FIXME: Something
This list is legacy and will be removed soon! A new place for this is ReactOS Assembla space http://www.assembla.com/space/reactos
- [Fixed] Check situation with desktop and top windows - need to ensure there is no auto "one desktop per application" creation happens!
- [Fixed] Check all places which use PsLookupThreadByThreadId and fix reference counting
- Enable commented out places in the font output code (ET_OPAQUE, etc)
- [Fixed] No desktop background (hacked away in win32csr)
- [Fixed] Fix absence of a background color in windows, and general lacking of windows painting
- [Fixed] Fix a "err:(dll\win32\gdi32\freetype.c:3068) FT_New_Face rets 85" problem, resulting in a hack in RosDrv_GetTextMetrics
- [Fixed] Fix RosGdiSelectBitmap with an incorrect user bitmap handle (probably a stock bitmap?)
- Make win32k/wine/queue.c (timer callback and timeout callback) multithread aware. Right now it doesn't lock its lists
- [Fixed] Make user/kernel handles mapping multithread aware. NOTE: It already was.
- [Fixed] Add some real locking to GDI_ObjGetPtr / GDI_ObjRelease. NOTE: Just added multithread safety to GDI_ObjGetPtr, but pointers to objects are not locked in any way, so release is a noop.
- [Fixed] Implement surface bits locking for concurrent accesses
- [Fixed] Implement mouse cursor support in win32k
- [Fixed] Implement user input in win32k and winent.drv
- [Fixed] Implement a locking mechanism for GDI kernel mode objects
- [Fixed] Add commented out CombinedClipping region back into all graphics operations
- Make /CONSOLE booting from working perfectly
- [Fixed] Purge user->kernel handles mapping when a process is destroyed
- [Fixed] Get rid of hardcoded 800x600 (and 640x480 in monitor functions) display size
- [Fixed] Fix black icons problem
- Fix mouse cursor being black problem
- [Fixed] Implement moving of windows
- Implement scrolling support