[ros-dev] Role of UI coordinator and committing

Derek Hinchliffe dhinchliffe at mpl.com.au
Fri Oct 28 09:29:36 CEST 2005

You'll find that the 'classic' windows start menu follows the convention.
The newer XP one ignores it for the Log Off and Shut Down for what I can
only assume is eye candy purposes.

Anyway, afaik it is more of a general UI convention rather than a specific
thing Windows does. I'm not sure where the practice originated but it is
now used across many OSs and applications, including Windows, MacOS and a
lot of Unix GUIs.

As a random example, the attached image is the Firefox 'File' menu which I
just happened to be using at the moment.  Some of the menu items have ...
and some don't, and you will notice the difference is the ones that do
have it will result in dialog boxes coming up for further actions (eg.
Save Page As...), while the ones without are immediate actions (eg. New
Tab).

The same convention is used in the following apps I just sampled: iTunes
on Mac, Gimp on Linux, Word on Windows.

Cheers
Derek

> Which OS does this? Windows has it for Run..., but not for Shut Down.
> But Run can do many things. Run a program, open a document, open an URL.
> It's kind of hard to make space for it all.

IT Administrator
MPL Health Safety Environment
Ph: (08) 9355 7191     Mb: 0409 116 602
Fax: (08) 9355 7111    dhinchliffe at mpl.com.au

Please note: This email may contain PRIVILEGED and/or CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION intended only for the use of the addressee. If you are not the
addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the person
addressed, you may not copy or deliver this to anyone else. If you have
received this email by mistake, please notify us by telephone. MPL Group Pty
Ltd will NOT be liable for any unauthorised use of the information contained
in this email. If you do not wish to receive future emails of a commercial
nature from MPL, please respond to this email advising us.  All email
traffic into and out of this company is monitored routinely for
administrative purposes. Thank you.