[ros-dev] Role of UI coordinator and committing

Ge van Geldorp gvg at reactos.org
Fri Oct 28 09:16:12 CEST 2005

> From: Casper Hornstrup
>
> > From: Derek Hinchliffe
> >
> > Elipses (...) are also used in menu items when clicking on the item
> > will result in some sort of dialog box before any real action is
> > actually taken.
>
> Which OS does this? Windows has it for Run..., but not for Shut Down.
> But Run can do many things. Run a program, open a document,
> open an URL.
> It's kind of hard to make space for it all.

Check for example Microsoft Word. "Edit/Paste" doesn't have elipses 'cause
the command is just carried out. "Edit/Past Special..." does have them, you
will get a modal dialog box before the command is carried out. I think it's
part of the CUA, on which the original UI guidelines for Windows were based.
See e.g.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISJ/is_n3_v31/ai_12547724/pg_6:

"Action option windows contain options that allow a user to further specify
an action request. They appear when a user selects an action choice, such as
"Print...", from a menu. Menu choices that cause action windows to be
displayed are called action choices and are followed by ellipses. This
provides a visual cue for users, indicating that no action will occur until
further dialog is completed."

GvG