[ros-dev] DOS/GRUB based FreeLDR floppy image available.
bblaauw at home.nl
Sun Oct 23 23:10:06 CEST 2005
Using LOADLIN with FreeLDR didn't work to load ReactOS from DOS, so I
remembered the GRUB4DOS program.
Please download but don't distribute in any way the following file (this
is just a demo, I don't feel like listing sites for sourcefiles)
2) FreeDOS bootsector (see kernel ; GPL )
3) FreeDOS kernel (kernel 2035A, www.freedos.org ; GPL )
4) FreeDOS command.com (FreeCOM, see www.fdos.org/kernel ; GPL )
5) Batchfile (autoexec.bat, see below ; just a script, public domain thus)
6) GRUB (compresses nicely with UPX ; GPL)
7) FreeLDR (compresses nice with zip, but not bootable then. Can't be
compressed by UPX unfortunately)
Same configuration can be done on harddisk, I think (fat32 also???),
which means you can now boot FreeLDR from harddisk even without a
FreeLDR realmode install program or associated bootsector.
configuration might be even more lightweight if I omitted FreeCOM
(command.com) and used
"SHELL=A:\GRUB.EXE --config-file="kernel (fd0)/freeldr.sys" instead.
Some small misc. bugs on ReactOS:
FreeLDR: Title part has issues when it's too long, overwrites Brian
Palmer's name, and at right side it's cut-off
CMD: why does "EXIT /?" (give helpscreen for EXIT command) close the
echo Welcome to FreeDOS (http://www.freedos.org)
echo Booting FreeLDR 2.0.0 through GRUB4DOS. Press CTRL-C to abort or
grub --config-file="kernel (fd0)/freeldr.sys
More information about the Ros-dev