[ros-dev] Boot Up Error with Dhcp.exe ** UpDate **

art yerkes ayerkes at speakeasy.net
Sun Oct 23 03:07:20 CEST 2005

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 23:17:43 +0000
James Tabor <jimtabor at adsl-64-217-116-74.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> Funning thing, I was just testing and typed dhcp at the cmd console.
> Wow! It worked! It doesn't work when booting up. I guess due to the boot
> sequence. One more note, from the cmd line, it does not find the dns address.
> Is there a cmd line entry I need to init the name server address?
>
> So, Does dhcp run before the net driver is installed?
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
>  From ipconfig /all
>
> ReactOS IP Configuration
>
> 	HostName. . . . . . . . . . . : COMPUTERNAME
> 	DomainName. . . . . . . . . . :
> 	DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
> 	NodeType. . . . . . . . . . . : 8 (Hybrid)
> 	ScopeId . . . . . . . . . . . :
> 	EnableRouting . . . . . . . . : no
> 	EnableProxy . . . . . . . . . : no
> 	EnableDns . . . . . . . . . . : no
>
> GetNumberOfInterfaces() returned 2
> GetInterfaceInfo() returned with 1 adaptor entries
> [1] NE2000 Compatible
>
> Adaptor Information
>
> Ethernet Adapter NE2000 Compatible:
>
> 	Description. . . . . . :
> 	Physical Address . . . : 00-40-05-E1-35-76
> 	DHCP Enabled . . . . . : No
> 	IP Address . . . . . . : 10.65.145.101
> 	Subnet Mask. . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
> 	Default Gateway. . . . :

dhcp should wait for new adapters to arrive and set their addresses.
I didn't know how to do it (and we couldn't have new adapters at the
time anyhow), so it just checks once at startup.  It isn't acutally
that hard to add adapters if we know how to receive the right
message.

There shouldn't be any difference between dhcp after startup and at
startup with respect to dns server address.  It's likely a bug.

dhcp is supposed to be a real service, but I don't think we had
support for that at the time.  It's not difficult to transition it
if reactos is ready.
--
Here's a simple experiment. Stand on a train track between two locomotives
which are pushing on you with equal force in opposite directions. You will