[ros-dev] Constitution

Ge van Geldorp gvg at reactos.org
Sun Oct 16 23:56:07 CEST 2005

> From: Casper Hornstrup
>
> I have looked at the successful Debian project for
> inspiration on how to make decisions in a large distributed
> project like ReactOS. I have drafted a constitution for the
> ReactOS project which is similar to the Debian project
> constitution. You may find it here:
> http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/Constitution.
>
> The constitution explains the decision making entities, their
> abilities and the decision making processes of the ReactOS project.
>
> Feel free to comment, suggest changes, etc.

Looks good. A few comments:

The Registered Project Members can (by General Resolution) override any
decision made by the Project Coordinator or the Area Coordinators. However,
the Repository Coordinator and Project Secretary can make decisions
"preferably consistent with the consensus of the Project Members". It seems
to me that Registered Project Members should be able to override their
decisions too.

There is a mandatory 1 week discussion period and 1 week voting period for
each vote, with no escape clause. For some votes (whether to release or not
comes to mind) 2 weeks seems a bit long. Can we change it so that the
proposer can ask for shorter periods, with a safeguard that the shorter
periods will be denied if a single Registered Project Member objects?

I really would like Coordinator Elections to be secret (or private, not sure
what the correct English term is). I should be able to cast my vote without
the candidates knowing on who (or even if) I voted. I believe this should be
explicitly mentioned in the Coordinator Elections voting procedure.

Ge van Geldorp.