[ros-dev] Prelude to voting for the Testing Coordinator Roles and Responsibilities.

Ge van Geldorp gvg at reactos.org
Sun Oct 16 21:30:37 CEST 2005

> From: WaxDragon
>
> So you would like the TC to toil away testing applications
> on builds, making lists of what works and what doesn't, just
> to have no power to get anything actually fixed?

No, that's not what I said. I said I would carefully look at your list and
basically follow it. However, I do want an escape route. After all, it's my
time I invest. And of course, I'm more than willing to talk about priorities
with the TC.

> Frankly I tire of sitting on IRC begging people to fix bugs.

I certainly hope you won't have to beg. When weird_w asked me last week to
look at the SBITs font problem I hope I didn't make him feel like a begger.
He just explained to me why it was important to him that this bug got fixed
and I put it on the top of my list. The same with bug 880. To me it seems a
minor annoyance that you have to press Alt-Tab when returning from graphics
mode to restore the text screen properly, but I understand that it's more
than annoying to you. Ok, I dig that and will fix it this week. Please
understand that sometimes you need to provide a little background to make me
grasp exactly why it's such a big problem.
As far as I know, I've always treated requests from fellow developers (and I
include you in the developers) with higher priority than requests from Joe
Random User. But you need to give me some leeway to have fun of my own too.
Now, I like debugging and fixing stuff (I see a bug as a puzzle to be
solved), but picking up a bug from Bugzilla has this distinct "fixing other
peoples problems" feel to it. Usually I have a pet project going on (right
now it's FireFox) and often I find it even more fun to work on that than on
fixing other peoples bugs. I need to have some fun so I won't burn out.

> From: Casper Hornstrup
>
> IMHO the TC shouldn't be able to tell people what to do.
> Nobody, not even our Project Coordinator should be able to do
> that. The project is still made up of volunteer people and
> nobody is getting paid to work on ReactOS. If you can
> convince someone to fix a problem then fine. Get a date for
> when it is expected to be fixed and ask here if we should
> delay the release for a few days. If not then just go ahead
> with the release as there might not be anyone that will fix
> it for several months.

Wow, I couldn't have said it better. That is exactly what I meant.

Ge van Geldorp.