[ros-dev] Reactos 0.2.8 RC-1 is out

Mike Swanson mikeonthecomputer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 04:20:03 CEST 2005

On 10/14/05, Bernd Blaauw <bblaauw at home.nl> wrote:
> Robert Köpferl schreef:
> > And for the intermediate time I question you to download the RC1 and
> > try it out, PLUS report bugs into our nice bugzilla!
> Sorry, no ReactOS account so far. Visual character recognition pattern
> (for account confirmation) scared me off last time.
>
> *Icon on installation ISO seems rather big filesize. Also located in
> root directory :(
>   Polluting root directory might not be nice if ReactOS would be added
> to some Linux distro as a bonus operating system.
>   ("keep everything as much as possible in its own single directory")
> *Installation seems to work with 32MB in VMware. Disable hosts
> virusscanner first, it makes things slooooooooooooow.
> *GPL isn't viewable on bootcdrom, yet is installed (and viewable) on
> ReactOS (acknowledgement screen)
> *configuration stage #2: computername cannot contain numeric characters.
> Probably only A..Z allowed
> *configuration stage #2: passwords may be empty (indeed 14 or less
> characters..)

But what is wrong with supplying no password? Even Microsoft Windows
allows this (Server 2003 discourages it, but still allows it)!

> *configuration stage #2: is "12:52AM" a valid setting? shouldn't that be
> 0:52(AM) or something?

12:52 AM is indeed valid in the 12-hour clock format. It might not
make the most sense, but the 12-hour standard is not set by the
ReactOS team by any measure ;)

> *configuration stage #2: reboot part after timezone screen *hangs*
> mouse. After reboot same configuration setup appears again, from the
> beginning.
>  It also remembers the computername I entered [VMROS] :)
>  Any limits on computername, by the way (minimum length, max length,
> allowed characters)
>
> Conclusion: cannot install (Vmware 5.5beta, winXP host, gues set as type
> 'Win98' with memory changed to 32MB).
>
> LiveCD: splashscreen shows, then cdrom is read very shortly. Then a blue
> screen with nothing on it, and system appears to hang.
>
> Final conclusion: time for QEMU :)

Seems to install in VMware 5.5 for me, except that this official ISO
doesn't include the trunk merge in which the driver-copying bug is
fixed for VMware 5.5. Oh yeah, this isn't a Windows 95 clone, you
might be better off setting ReactOS in Windows NT mode.
--
Mike