[ros-dev] FreeWin95

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Fri Oct 14 19:48:49 CEST 2005

Emanuele Aliberti wrote:

> Alex Ionescu wrote:
>
>>> I actually didn't understand if Russinovich was paid by MS to show
>>> that,
>>

>> I feel a bit insulted. What does Russniovich have to do with
>> anything? The screenshots above show a program which I alone have
>> worked on, and that no other "NT hacker" has attempted in doing before.
>

> Sorry, I took it for what Russinovich showed in his blog (killing the
> SM and LSA):
>
> Sunday, July 24, 2005
> Running Windows with No Services
>
> http://www.sysinternals.com/Blog/

Ah... nice blog article. Too bad he stole it from a post I made on the
private Microsoft newsgroups about 2 years earlier (Yes,this is an
assumption, but I had posted the exact same screenshot and explenation a
full two years earlier on a newgroup I know he has access to!).

> Actually, P. Dabak published the code of a native application that did
> keyboard I/O
>
> Prasad Dabak   28 Feb 2000 10:00
>
> Newsgroup: comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.nt.kernel-mode
> From: Prasad Dabak <prasadNOprS... at cybermedia.co.in.invalid>
> Date: 2000/02/28
> Subject: Re: Keyboard input in Windows NT native application

The code doesn't work on Win 2003 anymore, although it was a good read.
The hard part is scancode->character conversion, as well as proper
display output, including "backspace" (which requires buffering the
line-data and using some simple algos to emulate backspace.

Best regards,
Alex Ionescu