[ros-dev] svn://svn.reactos.org/trunk/windows

Alex Ionescu ionucu at videotron.ca
Sun Oct 9 18:24:01 CEST 2005

Ge van Geldorp wrote:

>>From: Emanuele Aliberti
>>
>>Win32 would remain the dominant subsystem. I am not against
>>Win32, that shuold be clear. I simply want to make the tree
>>cleaner (the core in a module, a subsystem a module etsim.).

I agree with the fact that Win32 should be able to be "compiled-out",
but I don't think we should get to the point where it's in a separate
branch. We had unofficialy discussed that stuff in its own branch is
"non-core". And Win32 is very much -core- to NT. I'm also pretty sure
that we can find a way to integrate both a compatible, cloned CSRSS/SMSS
model with your wish to have more powerful MuSession functionality. It
isn't a black and white question, and I'm sure both can be supported (at
the very worst, there will simply have to be some run-time code paths
for IfReactOS/IfWindows). That being said, I think the tree layout that
everyone worked on does a good enough separation job, by having
/dll/win32/* in a separate folder.

>The one thing that distinguishes ReactOS from other open source operating
>systems is its application support. There is no other open source OS with
>the number of applications available (potentially :-)) as ReactOS. Take out
>Win32 and what you're left with is an OS which can only run native apps,
>bringing it down (in terms of application support) to the realms of BeOS and
>SkyOS.
>I have no problems with a reorganization which would make Win32 a separate
>entity in the repository,

That's what /dll/win32 does.

>but I do feel rather strongly that the default
>build (and install) should include Win32.

Agreed.

> I'm not sure I like the idea of
>moving it to /trunk level. I thought beginning this year concensus was
>reached on http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/New_Tree_Structure ?
>
>Gé van Geldorp.

Best regards,
Alex Ionescu