AW: [ros-dev] Saying To All

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Sat Mar 12 21:13:33 CET 2005

>From what I made out from all the hooha over the leaked source code, it was
about the same size (in MB) of NT 4.0 and Win2k.  NT 4.0 is significantly
smaller than Win2k - I've installed both for a course I did in A+ - though
it's nowhere near as small as NT 3.1.

Consequently, a lot more NT 4.0 source code got leaked than did Win2k.  (I've
never seen it - and I don't want to, unless I've got a declaration from
Microsoft that the NT source code (3.1 to 5.1) is now available under an
acceptable Open Source license - preferrably 3-clause BSDL, since they appear
to like that! ;-)  I won't even look at MS Academic Shared Source source code
at University, because MS are that paranoid, and are willing to throw "mental
contamination" theories around like a pyromaniac with a flamethrower.

Reverse engineering's a different story, because Microsoft Press has published
"Inside Windows NT", several editions including the Win2k one, and I kid you
not, they give detailed instructions on reverse-engineering NT.  "Tools for
Digging into Windows NT Internals" - that ring a bell?  i386kd, windbg,
apimon, gflags, pwalk, pfmon, I could go on ...  David A. Solomon goes into
detail.

But as I understand it, ReactOS is an NT-class/style/type kernel (much in the
way NT itself is a VMS-class kernel with a Win32 userland.) with a Wine-based
userland, and reverse-engineering wasn't involved in either developing the
kernel or in developing the Win32 userland.

I'm getting sick of these people with unsupported allegations.

Wesley Parish