Virus Alert

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ohnemichel

Virus Alert

Post by Ohnemichel »

In the Installation package downloaded at 24.9.2011, there was a Virus found in reactOS.cab which was recognized as >>>mal/Behav-035<<<

greetings

-Lennard Wasserthal

Ohnemichel

Re: Virus Alert

Post by Ohnemichel »

Forgot that Different Programs call it different:

At least, that is what Sophos AntiVirus 7.3.3 calls it.

Ohnemichel

Post by Ohnemichel »

In the Live CD iso, there is svchost.exe infected with Mal/Behav-035,
and nearly all dll files are infected with Mal/TibsPk-A

greets.

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I believe those are all false positives. They may confuse the way Reactos does things with virus behavior.

naums

Post by naums »

soo... one might say: hey, ReactOS is a virus, and he'll just drop the idea of installing it.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, we have no virus in there. If enough ppl send the file as false positive to the antivirus brands, we might get this fixed anytime soon
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

naums wrote:soo... one might say: hey, ReactOS is a virus, and he'll just drop the idea of installing it.
I know Microsoft bashing is off-limits. However, here is a joke from a long time ago calling Windows a virus. I found a copy:
No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:
  • They replicate quickly - okay, Windows does that.
  • Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so - okay, Windows does that.
  • Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - okay, Windows does that too.
  • Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. Sigh... Windows does that, too.
  • Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. Yup, that's with Windows, too.
Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental differences:Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.

So Windows is not a virus.

It's a bug.
Sorry about that being OT, but I couldn't resist. Of course, keep in mind that this joke existed in Windows 3.1 days. Unlike what the joke says, Windows has indeed matured with time.

Yes, we probably should submit our files to the AV companies so they will not give our files false positives.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Offtopic...

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I stand by what I said about submitting our files to the AV companies so they will not give our files false positives.

Ohnemichel

Post by Ohnemichel »

I' m Sorry for that false warning. I checked with the latest AVAST Databases on a different Computer and no Virus warning came.
I had to switch off the OnAccess Scanning function in order to be able to copy the files.

:oops:

Alright, it will be that it is just about some library linking ratios, perhaps:
- Partially reversed Library Linking order
- Different or omitted Gaps in the Files (Header not at 0x100 but at 0x80)
- Names of sections unexpected for windows dll files

sorry for inconvenience.

greets.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Yeah, since we are not using normal MS buildchain by default (and even MSVC one is not used properly) such issues might happen. If you can locate them and describe the nature of the bug, please report it to bugzilla.