ReactOS Developers manners

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

razvan_hobeanu

ReactOS Developers manners

Post by razvan_hobeanu »

To ReactOS developers:

When someone reports a bug to you (did that through your IRC channell) try not to react as if you were the king of the world, the supa-dupa reactos developer, but try to understand the bug and the bug fix suggestion before you "huhh?" it.

In advance, when someone reports a bug you could at least confirm (or infirm) it decently and simply say thanks instead of acting like as if "I don't f****** care you took your time to tell us about this."

Good luck with your development!

Mike

Post by Mike »

There's a reason BugZilla exists. IRC isn't the best place (by far) to report bugs.

Elledan

Post by Elledan »

Mike wrote:There's a reason BugZilla exists. IRC isn't the best place (by far) to report bugs.
True, but there's a big difference between telling someone about Bugzilla in a relatively polite manner like you just did, or responding in a rude manner, as the OP apparently encountered.

We've all seen what happens to OSS (and closed source!) projects of which the developers became arrogant. If one is fortunate enough, there are some people out there who are not too disgusted with the way they were treated that they'd fork the project.

Besides, it's not wrong to first inform people about the existence of some bug on IRC, and then enter it in Bugzilla, right? :)

razvan_hobeanu

Post by razvan_hobeanu »

Mike wrote:There's a reason BugZilla exists. IRC isn't the best place (by far) to report bugs.
Well, I did report it also using BugZilla. After first telling about it to the developers on the IRC channel, given their lack of feedback - like "yeah...so?" - I thought I'd ask them where I could report the bug (to a more competent person): "ok, so it is enough that I told you about the bug or is there a place where I can file a bug report?". It was then that someone spelled out "BugZilla." So I reported the bug on IRC an also on BugZilla.

I agree, IRC is not the best place to report bugs, but it was the first contact possibility that came to my mind when finding the bug. However, the arrogance of those "developers" can turn off any volunteering thoughts that one (who is brave enough to tell those "masters" they got something wrong) might have.

And speaking of manners, be assured that my experience on reporting bugs on closed source operating systems was far better than this. I'll go now and make a mental note to keep myself from contributing to open source stuff developed by arrogants, like ReactOS again.

forart

Post by forart »

If BugZilla is the right place for users to submit bugs, a public IRC channel is not the right place for a developer.

Just my opinion.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.

GvG

Post by GvG »

razvan_hobeanu wrote:I agree, IRC is not the best place to report bugs, but it was the first contact possibility that came to my mind when finding the bug. However, the arrogance of those "developers" can turn off any volunteering thoughts that one (who is brave enough to tell those "masters" they got something wrong) might have.
I wasn't in the channel, so I can't really comment. But being rude is never good, and I appologize on behalf of my fellow-developers.

GvG

Post by GvG »

Patchworks wrote:If BugZilla is the right place for users to submit bugs, a public IRC channel is not the right place for a developer.
We have a closed IRC channel too (#ros-dev), but I really dislike that because it could be construed as an arrogant group of developers, feeling themselves too good to talk to "ordinary" people.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

razvan_hobeanu wrote: And speaking of manners, be assured that my experience on reporting bugs on closed source operating systems was far better than this. I'll go now and make a mental note to keep myself from contributing to open source stuff developed by arrogants, like ReactOS again.
I can assure you that the developers are not arrogrant.

You've either taken this the wrong way, blown it out of proportion or simply caught someone at a bad time. There have been a few dissagrements lately and you may have walked into the middle of one, unaware.

RE bugzilla, every serious project has one and they are always going to be the correct method in which to file bugs.
Bug reports come through the forums, mailing list, IRC and even in private emails. It's difficult to keep track and it can be fustrating.

The developers are only human, and will have good days and bad days like everyone else. However the devs are not arrogant, they do not see themselves as 'masters' and are just as approchable as anyone else.

razvan_hobeanu

Post by razvan_hobeanu »

ged wrote: The developers are only human, and will have good days and bad days like everyone else.
Of course they are human and of course they have good days and bad days, but the difference between professionals and non-professionals is that the former don't mix personal life with professional life.

I am sure not all ReactOS developers are like the one I talked to on IRC, but this incident sure didn't make a good impression (to me at least) about the quality of that person.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

I challenge everyone in the forums to come into IRC, so you can see what a big bunch of softies the developers are :wink:

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

ged is completely right. They aren't bad, GvG even managed to get some freetime to fix my Forum Account, when I told of a bug in Forum, which prevents from resetting the PW. They are all great and normally will help you, if you ask. :)

forart

Post by forart »

I challenge everyone in the forums to come into IRC, so you can see what a big bunch of softies the developers are
I barelly agree. In my opinion to be an open source _developer_ is an honor but an onus too.
Developers _shouldn't_ waste their time in "low-end" chats. :wink:
Anyway, users feedback is really important, expecially in an open source project.
True, many newbie uses 'bad channels' to communicate, so a 'public relation coordinator' could help.

Is this your role, ged ?
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.