Graphics problems in VirtualBox

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shinobu Maehara

Graphics problems in VirtualBox

Post by Shinobu Maehara »

I just now for the first time booted ReactOS in VirtualBox and to be honest I was very impressed that it ran at all.
But there were a lot of graphics problems. Here's an example:
[ external image ]
I've also seen controls not drawing, menus not sizing correctly and so on.
Is this normal and expected of an alpha-stage OS or am I experiencing some sort of unexpected problem?

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Generally speaking, bugs are normal and expected for this stage. The developers are aware of many bugs, but there can be (and sure, is) a lot of unknown ones.

If you experiment with the release 0.3.13, you can try the recent builds — many old bugs have been fixed (though there are some fresh regressions).

It would be nice if you will report the observed problems to the bug tracker. Please describe how to reproduce step by step the bug and attach a screenshot.

Thanks!

Shinobu Maehara

Re: Graphics problems in VirtualBox

Thank you for your quick reply! I'd be delighted to help out. Is there an easy way to feed the latest version to my virtual machine? Maybe by writing it to an ISO image - would that work?

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Just get a newest ISO from the site hto linked, attach it as virtual cd and boot/install from it.

Shinobu Maehara

Thanks a bunch, I had no idea it would be so easy. I have tried it and since at least this problem still exists in revision 52857 so I'll go to the bug tracker and report it there.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

I can't reproduce bug 6392 in QEMU.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

voitureoccasion wrote:Have same bug under VirtualBox 2.2.2 whene enabling usb support

Sorry for my bad english
May you retry with a bootcd from www.reactos.org/getbuilds ?

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Also, it would be a good idea to upgrade to VirtualBox 3.1.6 if you can. The culprit could be the VM.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free DOS, Windows and OS/2 games at RGB Classic Games.

jorge1987

Post by jorge1987 »

Shinobu Maehara wrote:I just now for the first time booted ReactOS in VirtualBox and to be honest I was very impressed that it ran at all.
But there were a lot of graphics problems. Here's an example:
[ external image ]
I've also seen controls not drawing, menus not sizing correctly and so on.
Is this normal and expected of an alpha-stage OS or am I experiencing some sort of unexpected problem?
I make a similar post a little time ago, but It's work fine in the lastest VirtualBox, but with wrong colors, so, please test it again in teh lastest Virtual Box to confirm, becouse I'm in a similar environment and works ok.

Best regards.
Jorge Abreu-
"No te des por vencido ni aun vencido"
jorgeabreu.blogspot.com
desarolloylinux.blogspot.com

milon

Post by milon »

Jorge, it sounds like your problem is the number of colors ROS is using. I only had a problem with the colors in VirtualBox when I let the ReactOS installer stick with its default 800x600 @ 16 colors. Colors have always worked for me when I choose 800x600 @ 32-bit color. What display option did you choose at install time? How many colors is ROS set to use currently?
Last edited by milon on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jorge1987

Post by jorge1987 »

milon wrote:Jorge, it sounds like yoru problem is the number of colors ROS is using. I only had a problem with the colors in VirtualBox when I let the ReactOS installer stick with its default 800x600 @ 16 colors. Colors have always worked for me when I choose 800x600 @ 32-bit color. What display option did you choose at install time? How many colors is ROS set to use currently?
Me?

When I installe it I choose 800x600 @ 32-bit color, and works Ok, but once I install the Guest Additions, the colors are all wrong, and is no metter of what configuration I choose.
jorgeabreu.blogspot.com

milon

Post by milon »

jorge1987 wrote:Me?

When I installe it I choose 800x600 @ 32-bit color, and works Ok, but once I install the Guest Additions, the colors are all wrong, and is no metter of what configuration I choose.
Ah. I just assumed from the "with wrong colors" bit. Still, Guest Additions adds a bunch of drivers on a CD. What did you install from the Guest Additions CD? I'm still suspicious of a driver conflict.

jorge1987

Post by jorge1987 »

milon wrote: Ah. I just assumed from the "with wrong colors" bit. Still, Guest Additions adds a bunch of drivers on a CD. What did you install from the Guest Additions CD? I'm still suspicious of a driver conflict.
I think I installed it all... I just follow the wizard of the GA.
jorgeabreu.blogspot.com