2014 opportunity

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

teotwawki

2014 opportunity

Post by teotwawki » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:59 pm

I think the scheduled end-of-support for XP in August 2014 raises the opportunity of targeting corporations who are stuck with "legacy" apps that won't run on Windows 7 and have no vendor road map for replacement.

Companies in this situation may be persueded that if a decent number of them donated to the ReactOS project then they could end up with a viable way to keep their legacy apps running in a supportable environment.

I.e. Chasing feature-creep may not be as beneficial as specifically focusing on the one thing corporats want: XP

Perhaps a well written atricle sent to all the tech news sites/blogs etc. would get the ball rolling?

teotwawki

Re: 2014 opportunity

Post by teotwawki » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:10 pm

Sorry to self-reply but just remembered another point: Hardware compatibility.
Compatibility should be ensured with all the virtual hardware emulated by VirtualBox, VMware, Hyper-V etc. before worrying about anything else such as the latest graphics cards.

The only exception should be the parallel port as it's unsupported by any virtualisation or any version of Windows since XP. Again, people tied to legacy apps that need a parallel port (dongles?) will have no other choice.

hypercube33

Re: 2014 opportunity

Post by hypercube33 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:42 am

My $20 worth (2 cents is so 1850)

USB can pass through to client O/S systems in any virtual environment, so USB->LPT2 or USB HASP devices still work, we use them where I work.

Windows 7/8/etc come with decent win32 support and can run 'xp mode' so your argument is moot, however a date would be great, and encourage people to perhaps do sponsorship drives :)