NTFS support thread.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

eric33

NTFS support thread.

Post by eric33 »

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

The lack of support kills compatibility with XP.

How difficult would this be ? Is the project above compatible with licensing?
Last edited by eric33 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ged
Developer

Re: Please developers ! Make NTFS support a PRIORITY !

Post by Ged »

eric33 wrote:How difficult would this be ?
Very. No one in the open source world has managed to do it yet.
This compatibility was achieved in the Wine way by using the original Microsoft Windows ntfs.sys driver.
Not only can we not ship this driver with ROS, we can't do it this way anyway as anyone who doesn't have a legal copy of windows can't legally use the driver.

eric33

interesting puzzle

Post by eric33 »

Sorry about double post. What about this project ?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-ntfs/

I can't believe there is no work around . There must be an answer.

mikedep333

Post by mikedep333 »

1st of all, you have to understand that NTFS is very complex. Furthermore, because it is not documented, it makes it even harder to implement, and it makes it so there is no definitive way of ensuring compatibility with Windows in unusual circumstances nor any way of ensuring compatibility with future versions of Windows. Ultimately this project will create a working driver, but there is no work around for the hard work that needs to be done. For now, be patient and keep in mind that ext3 and reiserFS are very good.

steveh

OT comment: NTFS? or WinFS?... or ReiserFS...

Post by steveh »

Maybe i'm a bit offtopic, but i would like to remember that Microsoft intends to replace coming windows versions in middle future NTFS by "WinFS". Maybe WinFS will be even more "complicate and opaque" than NTFS.

I think that's an argument for Reactos' filesystem "independance" from windows. Maybe ReiserFS 3 or ReiserFS 4 is the best choice for Reactos C: partition, and default install mode. And a ReiserFS driver for Windows, for those users who must exchangfe data between Reactos or Linux, and Windows.

NTFS and WinFS would be "nices to have". But i'm pessimistic. If Microsoft will not be forced by some law in USA and/or EU to completely unveil the full documentation of these filesystems, there will hardly ever be a full functional driver in Reactos.

Phalanx

Re: OT comment: NTFS? or WinFS?... or ReiserFS...

Post by Phalanx »

steveh wrote:Maybe i'm a bit offtopic, but i would like to remember that Microsoft intends to replace coming windows versions in middle future NTFS by "WinFS". Maybe WinFS will be even more "complicate and opaque" than NTFS.
You know WinFS is not a true filesystem on the disk? It sits on top of NTFS.

ReiserFS 4 is much better than NTFS in may ways, and a lot of people do not like NTFS, just their is not really a good option to move away from it on WindowsNT. I have had NTFS corrupt itself a few times that it looses files and stucture (even on Windows XP Pro x64, which is based on 2003). I would much rather see a read only NTFS driver and a full ReiserFS 4 driver than a full NTFS one.

eric33

?

Post by eric33 »

I didn't know a filesystem was so difficult to code ?

I am just looking for some compatibility , not great speed or for it to be used as primary file system.

I hope there can be some hack that can work. The link I posted earlier is NTFS for linux .l

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Yes, it's very difficult to write a stable filesystem as complex as todays file systems are ...... but that's not the issue here.

The difficulty in writing an NTFS driver is that it's internals aren't known. The only way to learn about the filesystem is by reverse engineering it.

The Linux-NTFS guys have been working on this for years and so far have only succeeded in getting the read part stable. You still can't overwrite if the data is of different size and you can't create new data. So it's basically the write support usless at the moment, making it effectively, still read only.

Due to this fact, it is highly unlikley that full NTFS support by any other way than via Microsofts NTFS.sys, will become available in the near future.

eric33

Post by eric33 »

That does suck.

Thanks for the information !

oiaohm

Do you have a windows licence and a machine to risk?

Post by oiaohm »

Reason Reactos should be able to run microsofts NTFS.sys driver without problems.

Its worth a test.

Zahrber

Post by Zahrber »

Well to have read-only support for NTFS is quite sufficient at this time, because I think some of you are missing the point of ReactOS. This operating system is meant to be a replacement for Windows that is capable of running Win32 applications. This is not meant to be used as a dual boot OS with Windows XP where you would need to have any of your partitions setup as NTFS. You can use ReiserFS or ext3 or any file system you want.

If you do plan to use ReactOS and WinXP then that is your choice. If so then here is a suggestion:

Make a partition of NTFS with XP on it, with an average amount of space. This is to run any programs with windows that ReactOS is not capable of running at the time, until such a time when ReactOS is capable.

Then have a partition for ReactOS to reside using your favorite filesystem.

Then have a partition using your favorite filesystem that will hold all your apps that ReactOS can run, along with a partition to hold all your data.

This makes a very organized system that should be able to run all your Win32 apps you use. As you are able move apps from WinXP to ReactOS then the read-only NTFS function can easy copy the saved data for an application to the ReactOS data partition for use with the newly migrated application for ReactOS.

So as you can see NTFS write capability is hardly needed for ReactOS. I would rather see developers focus their efforts more on other things than NTFS at this time.

:idea: However this is only my personal opionion on the matter. :!:

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Zahrber wrote:This operating system is meant to be a replacement for Windows that is capable of running Win32 applications. This is not meant to be used as a dual boot OS with Windows XP where you would need to have any of your partitions setup as NTFS.
ReacTOs is not yet a full replacement for windows and it will not be in the near future. But I think that read functions are enought because you can use it to read you windows partition and to copy your windows ntfs driver which might already work with reactos.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?

Zahrber

Post by Zahrber »

Dr. Fred wrote:ReacTOs is not yet a full replacement for windows and it will not be in the near future.
Sure Dr.Fred I thought this was understood. That is why the OS is still in alpha. I am talking when the project is out of beta. At least that is what I thought the long term goal of the project was, to not be dependent on MS Windows anymore 100%.

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Yes but that will take long and till then a NTFS driver still makes sence.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?

Mrkaras

Sombody did it

Post by Mrkaras »

Probably not anything you don't all already know about but http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/N ... ional.html has a NTFS reader and writer for DOS. they must have suceceded in working out how it works. comercial software, not open source, but perhaps just showing it can be done.