Who is using Reactos all day ?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

clbrk

Who is using Reactos all day ?

Post by clbrk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:10 am

Hi!

Who is using Reactos all days, in an industrial way and for everything, and what version of reactos is "stable" ?

Thx

Haos
Test Team

Re: Who is using Reactos all day ?

Post by Haos » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:00 am

None. If you had read our website, there is a visible statement, about ROS being alpha - stage and not stable enough for production use. Sorry.

clbrk

Post by clbrk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:14 pm

Thanks for your answer, but I know this :)

So i ask this because in french forum, one man said that it's used in an industrial way...even if Reactos is not in stable state.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:31 pm

Cool! We would like to see more details, so we can know what brave men are due congratulations for their bravery.

clbrk

Post by clbrk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:47 pm

I would like too ! ;) i want to know which is the most "stable" version of Reactos to date?

I posted the same question on french forum a long time, no answer today.... :(

This member "JPLR " said this, so i try in this general forum, and i hope that somebody can answer...

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 pm

clbrk wrote:I would like too ! ;) i want to know which is the most "stable" version of Reactos to date?
Oh. I haven't knew, that we have any, even partialy stable build of ReactOS...

Or maybe It's just VBox + Celeron effect, which makes me think, that ReactOS is very slow and unstable like Trelium D in liquid state...

JPLR

Post by JPLR » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:47 pm

Hi,

That's not exactly what I said on the French forum.
I said that I saw some months ago a job announce asking for developers with knowledge of Reactos and Wine.
I posted this news also with a link to the announce in the English forum without anyone commenting it which in itself was quite surprising to me.
On the French forum I also mentioned that people discussed here on several occasions about using Reactos with industrial PC. The last one was during last summer.
Finally I mentioned that myself I was able some years ago to have a Reactos 0.2.7 on real hardware running for approximatively 24 hours without any crash on a real PC, albeit an old one and Reactos was doing nothing.

Posterbot

Post by Posterbot » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:02 am

Some people may keep a dedicated system running with ReactOS for testing purposes and the understanding that it is in Alpha. I hope to be able to do this soon. I have lots of older apps and games I wish to test.

In theory if all you did was search the net and play movies and perhaps email with your ReactOS, you could use it all the time. It's just for certain things you may want to do the functionality isn't there yet.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:50 am

Its not stable enough even for watching movies and browsing net. Sorry.

Posterbot

Post by Posterbot » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:31 pm

Oh I see Haos. I was going by some rather impressive videos I have seen on You Tube.

cppm

Post by cppm » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:19 pm

A video showing someone using Ros for a certain app over a certain time on certain hardware won't show you the numerous hardware issues, potential crashes, user interface rough edges and stuff.

Consider that they might be pretty lucky to have found a hardware/software combination that works.

That said, I have a tangible feeling of progress over the time i've been watching ReactOS. People shouldn't be disheartened, consider the improvements over the last few years. I think it's safe to say at some point, before final release, ROS + a tested subset of stable hardware and software, will find a viable usecase in light domestic use and possibly the embedded scene.

clbrk

Post by clbrk » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:41 pm

Alleluia Brothers! :D

So I will try ROS 0.2.7 as JLPR said.

If Anyone has another hardware/software combination wich works....

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:44 am

clbrk: 0.2.7?lol.We have much more compatibility nowadays.

JPLR

Post by JPLR » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:54 am

>> We have much more compatibility nowadays.
What does that word "compatibility" means exactly? I think the situation was well described by cppm.
Beware the sentences below are not general statements but just acknowledge that real life is more complicated that it seems on the paper.

I can imagine use cases where Reactos 0.2.7 is good enough:
- Imagine a company who wants to maintain a DOS/pure Win32 software which doesn't run anymore on Windows but its clients insist to buy today's computers with Windows 7 because they have no other choices. Then Reactos 0.2.7 is a far better choice for running on a VM machine like Qemu which even works on DOS (thanks to HX extender) that the much more fatty and prone to crash modern Reactos.
- Imagine a software and computer that is used to monitor park meters/Power utilities/etc... Those computers do not change often, there are still many DOS/pure Win32 boxes that are in use 20 years after. To use a Reactos 0.2.7 OS enables to reuse this old software and pay no Windows licenses.
- Often in plants there are computers that are dedicated to tasks that are singleton, for example there was a unique development done to pilot some special machine and it has no meaning outside the plant. Often driving such a machine is done by a simple protocol like the "AT" command set for modems through the serial line. Why pay a Windows license? Why implement it in Linux which would be a nightmare to maintain (thanks to the lack of retro compatibility of Linux).

Often as cppm said the stability is a trade-off between usefulness and complexity.
Try just a test: How many Win32 DLL are used on your computer on the average, I bet that on the average on several hours the number will be less than 10. So what is the meaning to try to support one hundred DLLs if you don't use most of them because like in the DOS time you don't use a sophisticated GUI nor Internet.
It pays to stay focused.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:52 pm

Older versions of ROS seem to perform better, because more things in those were hacked to work.This behavior may have produced results, but in long run was a dead end. ReactOS kernel was thus rewritten, as well as other components, in a process lasting till present day. We basically traded off some application compatibility for correctness of design, thus - hardware compatibility.