Hello!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Xaphix

Hello!

Post by Xaphix »

Hey guys.

Just thought I would drop in and say hi to everyone. I found out about ReactOS only a few hours ago searching in Google for free operating systems. I must say, the idea is brilliant, and I really hope this takes off (From what I can see, it already has). I'll try out ReactOS soon, I might even make some applications for it.

I am sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum, this is the only place I thought it could go.

Hope your all having a great time. :)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Hello!

Post by vicmarcal »

Thanks for joining this community :)
If you want to help us,you will find a place here.We need testers(installing apps and reporting issues), translators and developers.
I hope you will find a place to helping it taking off.
Have a nice day! :)
Xaphix

Post by Xaphix »

You all seem like a nice friendly bunch. First I need to run ReactOS on a VM to test it out myself, from what I have seen it looks good. Hopefully I'll be able to help out in some way :)
gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

Xaphix wrote:Thanks :)

You all seem like a nice friendly bunch. First I need to run ReactOS on a VM to test it out myself, from what I have seen it looks good. Hopefully I'll be able to help out in some way :)
Nice to hear, good luck! ;)
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

Welcome to ReactOS! I found about ReactOS way back in 2005 or 2006 because I wasn't comfortable with the idea of pirating Windows when I needed an extra copy, and Linux didn't suit my needs at the time. (I do like Linux, though. :P )

If you're testing ReactOS for the first time, I'd personally suggest using Sun VirtualBox. It's got pretty good performance, it's easy to configure, it's free, and is open-source (mostly). If you're interested in doing compatibility reports, the link is on the main page, and if you want to do debugging work, I just wrote a quick-and-easy tutorial on the Tutorials section of the forums to help people get started. ReactOS isn't stable enough for everyday use, so a virtual machine is the safest and most reliable way to test it right now. If you do have spare hardware lying around (like I do), you might have luck running ReactOS on real hardware.

If you know how to program and want to contribute to development, then you should know that ReactOS is primarily written in C, with the occasional bit of C++ (primarily in Explorer). C is the preferred language for development, though. If you're writing applications for ReactOS, write Windows applications, since ReactOS is intended to run Windows applications.

It's always nice to see new people getting interested in ReactOS. I hope you come to enjoy ReactOS as much as I do. :)