Shutdown, restart and logoff; network, users and viruses

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

borosspet

Shutdown, restart and logoff; network, users and viruses

Post by borosspet » Mon May 30, 2005 11:26 am

Welcome!

I installed ReactOS 0.2.6. It is started with grub.
My problem is that in the main menu ("start" menu) the shut down menuitem does nothing, but the logoff turns off my computer. What I really missed is the reboot menuitem, because logoff is not needed till multi-user development state, and turn off already exists (however it works with the logoff menuitem instead of the turn off menuitem).

Furthermore, I think it would be better to solve multi-user and protected FS (i.e. ext3 or ReiserFS) problems BEFORE network developments...
Imagine a Windows-compatible OS with...
- only administrator user (IMPOSSIBLE to make an user from whom the system is (at least) partially protected),
- FAT32 - everyone can write everywhere (the viruses also)
- WIN32 viruses through internet...
- These viruses are mostly written under wine (under linux :D , with final windows tests), so possibly they will work under ROS also...

If ROS-machine should not be a web-zombie, the security have to be done before networking...

Peter

Blaskowicz

Post by Blaskowicz » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:05 am

yes, I think an opensource firewall should be included, would do a lot for security (though not having internet explorer, remote login, RPC etc. is already quite a good thing :))

oiaohm

Clamwin need to be fixed for real time scanning

Post by oiaohm » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:02 pm

Clamwin with real time scanning.

Plus a good firewall.

System shiping with good defence.

Long term expand Clamav for guess work detection.

borosspet

Re: Shutdown, restart and logoff; network, users and viruses

Post by borosspet » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:19 am

borosspet wrote:Welcome!
My problem is that in the main menu ("start" menu) the shut down menuitem does nothing, but the logoff turns off my computer. What I really missed is the reboot menuitem, because logoff is not needed till multi-user development state, and turn off already exists (however it works with the logoff menuitem instead of the turn off menuitem).
Thanks for the networking ideas. And how's the restart/shutdown question?

Peter

LordMicr0n

Post by LordMicr0n » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:51 pm

i think you shoudn't integrate the network system in the kernell source, i hate the windows telling me "network driver installed... please restart" seriously i'm getting MAD if i see something like that .
don't buy "windows Longhorn" !
http://www.againsttcpa.com/

Gasmann

Post by Gasmann » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:01 pm

LordMicr0n wrote:i think you shoudn't integrate the network system in the kernell source, i hate the windows telling me "network driver installed... please restart" seriously i'm getting MAD if i see something like that .
I also hate the "Something has been set up. You have to reboot the computer to make it work" (freely translated). It's so annoying :x But in Windows it got better from time to time (in win98 you had to reboot at least 20 (!) times when you setup it and not clicked no when reboot was suggested (during a lot of driver installations), in winxp it's already a lot better but still annoying, worst thing I saw until now is in OS/2, when you change resolution you have to reboot :x ) I hope it won't be the same in reactos (when it gets more mature).

Sarocet

Post by Sarocet » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:48 pm

LordMicr0n wrote:i think you shoudn't integrate the network system in the kernell source, i hate the windows telling me "network driver installed... please restart" seriously i'm getting MAD if i see something like that .
I think the networl system SHOULD go into the reactos main system, as far as it is a very important resource. Moreover, it is very important for the project being able to have network support. It could be in a different 'packet', but it should never be separated form the ReactOS.

Your problem is not the network, it is the needing of restarting. You should ask instead for the capability of ReactOS of not needing to restart. It would be very nice. However, I see it's very difficult reload the system with the programs open and not hibernating.

A personal experience :wink::
I had some days agoa a problem with my computer and i had to reinstall the OS. As a result of that I lost my sound configuration and it was not working. Instead, I heard beeps from the internal pc speaker (at least, it went down to the simple capabilitie :) ). Yesterday I installed the driver. It said to me: 'Restart to make changes available...' I selected not to restart now because i was workin gwith the PC but the sound started to work at once! It was a good experience.

theguyfromsaturn

WinPooch + ClamAV

Post by theguyfromsaturn » Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:56 pm

WinPooch Watchdog and ClamAV make a great open source combination to protect the computer.

WinPooch is acts as a Firewall. Much like ZoneAlarm, it allows you to grant access to each program that tries to access the net. Where ZoneAlarm only allows you to "allow to act as a server" and "allow access to internet" Winpooch allows a refined allow access or listen on a global basis, or on a per port basis. The way I set it up, anytime an application that I haven't allowed before (and set a filter for it) tries to access the net, it tells me what it's doing and asks me if I want to allow it, create a permanent allow or reject filter for it etc. I've caught many spyware wannabes that way. And quickly proceeded to nuke them, whitout having ever allowed them to touch the net.

Beyond network, it also monitors applications tthat try to modify the registry... and again easily setup rules.

Also by default it is setup to run ClamAV (winClam) an any executable before it is executed, wether you click on it or another program is trying to execute it.

And it will also allow you to setup filters on a per application and per directory (or file) write access, to allow you to control what writes where.

Given that thse are 2 very nice programs, and open source, I believe that WinClam, and WinPooch Watchdog should be integrated in any ReactOS distribution.

twelvegates

Post by twelvegates » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:51 pm

Blaskowicz wrote:yes, I think an opensource firewall should be included, would do a lot for security
If external firewalls such as ZoneAlarm are supported an own firewall is less urgent.

twelvegates

Re: Shutdown, restart and logoff

Post by twelvegates » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:18 pm

borosspet wrote:Welcome!

In my oppinion all these session management options should be packed into a submenu called Shutdown or Session or whatever.
And those options that are not yet implemented should be disabled (grayed out).
As of 0.2.8 it seems to me there is only Shutdown that is implemented.
So this should be the only active option in the Shutdown submenu.

The same Shutdown submenu could be opened uppon pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del.

GvG

Post by GvG » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:12 pm

twelvegates wrote:And those options that are not yet implemented should be disabled (grayed out).
Unfortunately, it's not that easy. Our Explorer can also be used on MS Windows. The options work fine there. They do depend on some lower level stuff that's not implemented yet in ReactOS. So, looking from the viewpoint of Explorer, they are implemented there.

twelvegates

Post by twelvegates » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:24 pm

GvG wrote: Unfortunately, it's not that easy. Our Explorer can also be used on MS Windows.
If compatibility with MS Windows is importand why not implement an environment specific behaviour?
If a typical Reactos file or entry in the registry is present then deactivate the options that are not implemented elsewhere.

Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:51 pm

twelvegates wrote:
GvG wrote: Unfortunately, it's not that easy. Our Explorer can also be used on MS Windows.
If compatibility with MS Windows is importand why not implement an environment specific behaviour?
If a typical Reactos file or entry in the registry is present then deactivate the options that are not implemented elsewhere.
ReactOS is is pre-alpha stage (ver 0.2.8. ) everything is under development, and there is not the same guys who develop one thing as the other, because of this when the explorer was developed it was made ready to use all the feature the underlying framework was supposed to have so that when the feature is implemented nothing more has to be done, it will just start to work. The other thing is that almost all parts that is being developed is done so by exchanging the original part of a NT or XP station, in this way compatibility can be ensured not depending on unimplemented/ buggy reactos features.

So: We can point out things not working to the developers, and hope some one of them deals with the issue we find important, else we have to wait, this feature in a human being is called patience and some of us lacks this feature, this however isn't called bug (strange isn't it?).

GvG

Post by GvG » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:19 pm

Jaix wrote:this feature in a human being is called patience and some of us lacks this feature, this however isn't called bug (strange isn't it?).
Tried reporting it, but I couldn't find the correct Bugzilla installation.