European Union Dotation

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Xamaeli

European Union Dotation

Post by Xamaeli »

ReactOS is International project with many european citizen in dev-team. So why not create a foundation and sumbit documents for dotation? Minix gain 2 milions EUR.

1,000 EUR /month for 50 develeopers for 3 years! In 2 years with full-time developers ROS will be in 0.8 Stage (or better)
doomonyou

Re: European Union Dotation

Post by doomonyou »

As nice as it would be to have paid developers working full time to bring us a stable beta/release candidate I seriously doubt that ReactOS would get 4 million (US) dollars. But then there are only about 10 main contributors so a smaller amount wont have that much of an effect.

FYI, ReactOS has the ReactOS Foundation already.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

And ReactOS is creating a ReactOS branch in Europe to recive european Donations.
So yes,when we have enough money to pay a full Dev, we will hire (one of the current ones) or one outsider. But these are "milk tales", before hiring we have to have the money.

PS: Donation button is in Home page
Witch

Post by Witch »

Xamaeli wrote:ReactOS is International project with many european citizen in dev-team. So why not create a foundation and sumbit documents for dotation? Minix gain 2 milions EUR.

1,000 EUR /month for 50 develeopers for 3 years! In 2 years with full-time developers ROS will be in 0.8 Stage (or better)
Do you know or know anybody from the Minix team who knows how to fill out those EU application forms? I've heard it's difficult and full of bureaucratic hoops that you need to jump through. If you know teach us!
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Which forms?
Show us the forms to win money and i will invest my time in filing them, asking lawyers or recruiting skilled people ;)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

We'll have an EU based foundation once the German bureaucracy works through all its red tape to approve our application.
JPLR

Post by JPLR »

Hi,

I know and have done it several time but guys this is about science funding.
Forget the idea to get funds to pay a developer.

To succeed you have to present a good proposal in line with a funding call and to form a consortium of big corporations, SME and academics from various parts of the EU.
I seriously doubt that any proposal to work on an open source OS project that is a clone of Windows would have any chance, but who knows. But you could present a proposal toward some specific goal that make it mandatory to have a Windows clone.

Another and far better idea would to join an existing consortium, there are many that ask for manpower. But again you will have to present credentials, how many in the swarm around Reactos have outstanding professional credentials in IT, how many doctoral or IT master students there are among the developers?
Witch

Post by Witch »

• I didn't quite follow and understand the parts regarding funding call and consortium. But maybe it's not neccessary to explain them in detail at this stage.

JPLR wrote: I know and have done it several time but guys this is about science funding.
Forget the idea to get funds to pay a developer.
  • However wouldn't the study of an open source operating system. Qualify as scientific research in technology and engineering? Which falls under the umbrella category science funding. Maybe Tom Cruise can help us he's a believer of science-something-something :)

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Don ... factors/en
  • I mean if Wikimedia could qualify as science, technology and engineering by The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. Then ReactOS would be 1000 times that kind of scientific endeavor. You could even spin things so that ReactOS falls under the "EU green tech umbrella thingy".
    Example:

Microsoft hides their technology under the hood making it impossible for 3rd party industries to optimize their products for greener tech.

ReactOS shows all technology under the hood making it possible for 3rd party industries to freely experiment and optimize their products for greener tech.