Why not GRUB

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alkali

Why not GRUB

Post by Alkali »

I was just wondering why grub is not used as the defalt bootloader in reactos. Why develop freeloader if grub already works. I am only curious because after I installed reactos, I got a error saying grub not detected every time I tried to boot.

GvG

Post by GvG »

FreeLdr does more than Grub. Besides loading the kernel it also loads the registry, parses it and determines what boot-time drivers need to be loaded too. It will load the correct NLS data files and do hardware detection.
BTW, it is possible to load FreeLdr from Grub

borosspet

Post by borosspet »

GvG wrote:FreeLdr does more than Grub. Besides loading the kernel it also loads the registry, parses it and determines what boot-time drivers need to be loaded too. It will load the correct NLS data files and do hardware detection.
BTW, it is possible to load FreeLdr from Grub
Yes, I understand, but I still wondering:
why it is not possible, that grub would be the boot manager, and "kernel (hdx,y)/freeldr.sys" would be a grub command to load the "boot kernel" (freeldr.sys), which would make the same things as the present freeldr.sys makes (as you wrote in your post - marked by red in the quotation) -> it means that freeldr.sys would be almost the same that now it is, only the boot managing part would be missing from it...

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?

borosspet

Post by borosspet »

Insert in your grub's menu.lst file this:

title ReactOS
root (hdx,y)
# the hd and partition number with grub terminology (starts with zero, not
# one, as it used under linux with /dev/hdpq)
kernel /freeldr.sys

(not to place the comment into the menu.lst file)

these 2 lines can be combined by these way:

title ReactOS
kernel (hdx,y)/freeldr.sys

Alkali

Understand now

Post by Alkali »

OK, I get it now. However, what is the problem with the idea possed by borosspet? I just think GRUB would be useful because many people have experiance with it and it has a very active development community. The way I see it, the more outside developed OS programs implemented, the more development can focus on the reactos core. Of course I could be looking at this wrong.

GvG

Post by GvG »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the idea posted by borosspet. In fact, it's already implemented. Several people have tried to point you to http://reactos.com/wiki/index.php/HOWTO ... _from_GRUB where this is already documented.

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

borosspet wrote:these 2 lines can be combined by these way:
It's a wiki fell free to edit.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?

oiaohm

Just I runtime to get started on this project each time.

Post by oiaohm »

Grub loading reactos kinda directly.

kernel /freeldr.sys (cutback)
module /kernel
module /nls
module /driver1
module /driver2 ...

Note this is a development version idea. So that freeldr does not need filesystem support for each filesystem.

This would most likely not be suitable for final version due to no regestry access.