Element Software partnership?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

patternjake

Element Software partnership?

Post by patternjake »

Hi there, my Name is Jake Stephen Jackson and I own and represent Element Software, a private software house based in the UK.

(visit the website www.elementsoftware.co.uk for more details)

Firstly, I wish to say congratulations on making an open source, capable Windows alternative. it looks possible for people in the not too far future to develop a NATIVE app which would work on a open source system properly other than Windows. I know that my software house would benefit from this OS also.

Secondly, We have been experimenting with a ReactOS build of our own now for a while, adding many newer GUI interfaces to it, creating a distrubution of ReactOS called ElementOS. These GUI interfaces of ours symbolize ease of use, power and modernization. Now if only these UIS would be brought to the ReactOS system itself it would be a fantastic experience for ReactOS users (and future and possible users).

This is what we think as developers that the ReactOS system is lacking. Usability and END USER appeal. Currently ReactOS lacks any of the former, and I have come to a decision on the matter.

I would like to suggest a possible partnership with ReactOS foundation and Element Software in the near future OR possible selling / or licensing of our AniCore Desktop Compositioning framework and our User Interface Framework that we have developed that has proved to work on a recent ReactOS build that we used internally for ElementOS production (www.elementsoftware.co.uk/elementos). The UI framework goes by the name of File Digger and provides a full blown desktop, file management and UNIQUE user interface and experiences.

Thirdly we have also enabled native (not mono) .NET applications to work on a ReactOS build by using in-house methods of .NET porting, a major example of this in action is of Element Browser, which is a .NET 2.0 application converted to native code with no additional re-coding nessecary. We could discuss licensing of this technology if wanted.

I look forward to hearing your reply on this suggestion.

Thank you

Jake Stephen Jackson
Element Software

Personal E-Mail: patternjake@hotmail.com
SuperDog
Translation Team

Re: Element Software partnership?

Post by SuperDog »

Is ElementOS based on ReactOS source code? If yes, to what degree ?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I suspect a Wine wrap-up over some kind of homebrew linux build. Never heard of any other product capable of running Crysis. A new one would already create some fuss around the place. Pity there are no large screenshots, and clicking on those small ones posted is an ad click trap. Well, no binaries, no need to publish source code...

As for any official negotiations, i`d suggest contacting Fireball (Aleksey Bragin), ReactOS project coordinator directly.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Hey patternjake, I was just wondering if you realize all of your screenshots on the element page link to something along the lines of http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net instead of a larger picture.

And not once did you say "Free and Open Source." I remember when you left AniCore in the dark and just made an API thing instead. If you ask me, I still don't have faith in you ever since that occurred.

As an end-user, I have great expectations of ReactOS, and it does APPEAL to me (especially the classic theme, which your ElementOS does not have.)

And just so you know, there isn't room for two Element Softwares. http://www.elementale.com/
patternjake

Post by patternjake »

ElementOS binaries have not been released yet but of course the project is open source and full source code will be posted in the portions required. ElementOS makes use of the ReactOS kernel and low level components, but all of the other userland applications (such as the explorer.exe) we are not using, we have included our own shell on the system.

The real name for that company is Element, which is registered in the US. Element Software UK is a software house in the UK and has no links to Copper.

AniCore is still in further development. Although we have only released an API for developers to use, AniCore Desktop is well on its way to completion.

We also have high expectations of the OS (why would I post?) but on the USER EXPERIENCE factor ReactOS is lacking appeal. Compare ReactOS to WIndows XP and users will feel its complicated due to no good looking or attractive theme.

People drop projects and start them again all the time, and yes we have implemented Google Ads to increase revenue so that we can develop our projects further. Developing apps cost time and money.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Give how our USB stack is in a mess, how are you guys supporting this? Also, you mentioned the capability to play several modern games. Are you using ReactX or Wine's DirectX, and in either case, have you managed to get modern cards to support their native drivers?
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

This is clearly linux with what looks like Gnome.
ReactOS isn't able to support much of the painting / windowing in these pics....
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Ged wrote:This is clearly linux with what looks like Gnome.
ReactOS isn't able to support much of the painting / windowing in these pics....
Yeah, even I see that on the pictures provided.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Crysis on ReactOS kernel? Doubtful... well lets wait for sauces.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Don't claim then he lying yet. He might proof his pics later. Just let him talk to Fireball and we will see. YOu will agree that we need some coding help baldy.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

I don't need proof, I _know_ these screenshots are not of reactos.
I know what our code can and can't do, and it certainly can't do this (yet).
The123king

Post by The123king »

Ged wrote:I don't need proof, I _know_ these screenshots are not of reactos.
I know what our code can and can't do, and it certainly can't do this (yet).
It also isn't the Linux kernel which one of the screenshots (used to) suggested.

And i say used to, because both the screenshots and the elementos page have since been removed off the website.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Those screenshots were from GNOME...
The123king

Post by The123king »

http://www.elementsoftware.co.uk/dev/ja ... /works.htm
ElementOS is an operating system that I develop in my spare time (with a help from a few others) which is compatible with Microsoft applications. Currently it is based on the popular Linux distribution, Ubuntu, but with more added features and a better user interface.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

And that's the problem, some people here hate linux with a passion.