Setup Problem

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

winslow33

Setup Problem

Post by winslow33 »

Hello.

I'm very interested in ReactOS. I just downloaded it and tried to install it on my hard drive. I want to run it off my machine I'm no longer using for anything else, so I reformated using FAT, popped in the disk to install, and restarted. Rather then getting the welcome screen as shown in the tour, it went straight to the boot loader. I'm at a loss of how to go about installing now.... Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks in advance.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Setup Problem

Post by vicmarcal »

Which is the "Wellcome Screen"?Could u describe it?
The first screen you should see is the "Choose a Language" screen...it is blue and you can just move with the Keyboard..

Did you download the BootCd or the LiveCD?to perform an install you must download the BootCD

Btw, Could you describe your PC hardware?Just for future references...and to help you better :)
winslow33

Post by winslow33 »

Ok....
Yeah, I downloaded the boot CD and burned the ISO onto a brand new CD-R.
The first screen I saw wasn't asking me to select a language- it looked similar to this: http://www.reactos.org/media/screenshot ... all_04.jpg

As for my hardware- there isn't much i know about it exept it's running 128MB of RAM, an 8GB hard drive, 200W power supply, and a CD-ROM drive. I just got it last night from a friend, he rebuilt it from a large range of old parts a few years ago and doesn't want it any more. That's about all I know on it. Sorry I don't know much more.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Did you download the 0.3.8 BootCd or one of the trunk?

Could you type what is the screen saying to you?Just a clue please... ;)..or which options are giving to you..or a photo?dunno...

Here you can find an Spanish Tutorial about installing..you can use google translator webpages...or at least point us which screen of those from the tutorial is showing Ros to you :)

http://reactos.wordpress.com/2008/11/15 ... dowsxp-ii/
winslow33

Post by winslow33 »

Ok. I spent some quality time with the ol' Fugifilm A800 and grabbed a picture of every screen I saw during the setup. They're all here. I loaded them onto a branch of my website. At the bottom of each picture is the caption wich explains what I did after each screen. Just click on the picture to advance to the next screen.
Hope this helps.

Oh, i guess It helps if i include the link... :oops:
http://picsw33.webs.com/apps/photos/pho ... d=29986012
winslow33

Post by winslow33 »

Oh yeah I forgot: I AM using the ReactOS 0.3.8 Boot Cd
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Just as curious, could you look to the Processor (it´s in the mother board) and tell me if it is a Pentium1,PentiumII or PentiumIII.
As it is a Frankens-PC i cant imagine with the RAM and HDD which Proccesor is it...

ReactOS have solved some issues with PentiumI and Pentium MMX.Maybe this problem is related/the same than yours.So maybe it is fixed now.Tell us about your processor... :)
soloman498

Post by soloman498 »

I have similar problems.My computer gets to :-

ReactOs is not completely installed
Remove Floppy disk from Drive a : and all cd roms from cd-drives.
Press enter to reboot your computer.

I am running a Pentium 4
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Testing on real hardware is impossible without serial null modem cable and a second PC to gather debug logs from ReactOS. Without that you are deprived of any information regarding the state of your machine. You cannot identify and send us any errors that are happening on your ROS machine, thus we cant fix em.
winslow33

Post by winslow33 »

My processor is a Pentium III.... But I have aother problem: When I start the computer, the Compaq screen I first see doesn't disapear after a moment and boot the CD like it used to. It just stays there! and if i try to hit F10 to bring up the BIOS, i just get a blank screen with a flashing cursor.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Are you sure that Mobo works? :) :) ...take a DebugLog...this is a weird case...
winslow33

Post by winslow33 »

Yeah.... the computer was working last night when I posted my earlier issues... I start it up this morning to try a DOS boot disk and I get the problem I mentioned earlier. Probably is the motherboard :cry: . If it is a motherboard issue, I'll try to scare up the funds to buy a new one and I'll be back to try installing ReactOS again.

Thanks for all the help.