Mozilla and Wikimedia Join Forces to Support Open Video

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, drop it in here. (not to be used as a chat/nonsense section)

Moderator: Moderator Team

forart

Mozilla and Wikimedia Join Forces to Support Open Video

Post by forart »

Mozilla has awarded a grant of $100,000 to the Wikimedia Foundation to help coordinate improvements to the development of Ogg Theora and related open video technologies. Mozilla and Wikimedia share a strong commitment to open standards. Version 3.1 of the Mozilla Firefox web browser will include built-in support to play audio and video in the open source Ogg Vorbis and Ogg Theora formats. All audio and video in Wikipedia is stored in these formats. Mike Shaver, VP of Engineering at Mozilla has blogged about this great news, as has Chris Blizzard, Director of Evangelism for Mozilla.

Open standards for audio and video are important because they can be used by anyone for any purpose without royalties, and can be inspected and improved by an open community. Today, video and audio on the web are dominated by proprietary technologies, most frequently patent-encumbered codecs wrapped into closed-source player widgets. Wikimedia and Mozilla want to help to build a web where video and audio are first class citizens: easy to use and manipulate by anyone, without compulsory royalty schemes or other barriers to participation.

The $100,000 grant will be used to support the work of long-time contributors to the Ogg Theora/Vorbis codebase and related tools, such as libraries for network seeking. The improvements will be made over a 6 month period.

Erik Möller,
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation
Hope that ROS will support open codecs by default too. 8)
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
GoBusto

Re: Mozilla and Wikimedia Join Forces to Support Open Video

Post by GoBusto »

I'm guessing that it'll simply have the relevant codecs in the Download! tool, since every individual codec adds to the overall system size and there is - you know - quite a large number of different codecs out there.

If ReactOS ends up taking the "Home, Business, Ultimate" approach to distributions, then perhaps these various codecs could be included as part of the "multimedia" versions. However, I don't see much call for them when the OS is being used for a server.
Last edited by GoBusto on Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zydon

Post by zydon »

I think, ROS should take the advantages of Open Standard technology as it's structure and keep improving them. As long as ROS mainly adapt MS standard at the first layer, the progress will be difficult and slow.

Open Standard such as OpenGL and Open Video would let ROS break away from the obstacle haunted the freedom of creativity if MS standard become the main elements in ROS structure. Supposed the Open Standard technology become the first layer, it will separate the MS standard compatibility into 2nd layer which will not interrupts the main OS structure to improve for better performance.

MS standard compatibility layer developers would continuously their progress to fulfill the demand as needed. When MS standard become obsolete, the main OS structure still standing strong supporting the other old and new standards.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

You're suggesting that ReactOS - based on the design of Microsoft Windows NT - should not make following Microsoft's designs it's priority?
zydon

Post by zydon »

Basically, NT design drive from or running on top of the Open Standard cores. In contrary, even now an Open Source codes made by ROS developers are mixed within the NT design since they didn't use MS codes. If all those codes being placed together into a core file driving the NT design, they would make another GUI OS Open Standard that could drive any flavor of new OS or even supporting some old OS such as Amiga or OS/2.

Blending with other Open Standard components available at the moment, it may solve some hardware and software functionality problems and possibility to extends connectivity features to match the current industry standard.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Except that the entire point of this project is to implement MS' design of the NT architecture. Many of the developers feel that MS' design is superior to the "open standards" out there, hence why they're participating.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

This thread belongs in Offtopic.
unofficialforum

Post by unofficialforum »

Many of the developers feel that MS' design is superior to the "open standards" out there, hence why they're participating.
codecs really don't have anything to do with ms's design, more like ms's policy of hooking people into using ms's designs by bundling EVERYTHING. if ros was going to bundle lots of codecs, it might as well bundle a browser, too, but that's one way ros differs from windows.

otoh, if there isn't a convenient way to install standard ms codecs, then you might have to bundle them.

but since dev involved with the ros project are always bashing open source like bridge-burning loudmouthed jackasses, the most consistent thing to do is to incude the standard ms codecs, pull their pants down, and say "ogg sucks" a lot.

in all fairness, most of the open source world has its own share of bridge-burning, loudmouthed jackasses, and they're not less annoying. but ogg (vorbis) doesn't suck, its quality and sound is beautiful unless you try to force very low bitrate. fortunately ogg (vorbis) uses variable bitrate very often. i've only seen ogg theora once but it looked nice.

none of this is to say that ogg should be bundled just because it's nice- only that shooting it down as a matter of fact (or whatever the devs think) is typically hasty. i think the best way to promote ogg is to make more ogg content and offer an easy way to install support. then when people see ogg content they'll say "ooh, how i can make that work in windows/reactos?" if it's bundled but there's nothing to see with the codecs, that's pretty useless.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

unofficialforum wrote:
Many of the developers feel that MS' design is superior to the "open standards" out there, hence why they're participating.
codecs really don't have anything to do with ms's design, more like ms's policy of hooking people into using ms's designs by bundling EVERYTHING. if ros was going to bundle lots of codecs, it might as well bundle a browser, too, but that's one way ros differs from windows.
MP3, etc. (the standard codecs bundled in Windows) are not "A lot."

The MIDI handling in Windows sucks too, at least ever since Windows XP.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Iyeru wrote:The MIDI handling in Windows sucks too, at least ever since Windows XP.
Earlier: My MIDI keyboard caused Windows 2000 to BSOD when it was plugged in.
unofficialforum

MP3, etc. (the standard codecs bundled in Windows) are not "A lot."
you're right, that's a good point. since the thread was about video, i was thinking about all the video codecs that get added to windows via use of media player, not necessarily the few that were bundled the last time i used the native support in windows.

i use mp3 all the time (you have to unless you can find everything in ogg format) but i prefer to rip to ogg. the first time i did i was very impressed how it sounded, it was slightly larger than mp3 files, but getting similar quality from mp3 required going even larger.

the only open video standard i know of is ogg theora, but as i said, the best way to promote it is to make lots of content available for it, (on wiki commons, for example,) and make it as easy as possible to install support (as in mozilla.) not that this requires any changes in reactos itself.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

unofficialforum wrote:the only open video standard i know of is ogg theora, but as i said, the best way to promote it is to make lots of content available for it, (on wiki commons, for example,) and make it as easy as possible to install support (as in mozilla.) not that this requires any changes in reactos itself.
Standards... *facepalm* I don't believe in them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_sourc ... containers
elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

unofficialforum wrote: the only open video standard i know of is ogg theora
And what about XviD? It is open-source

And for MP3, AFAIK there is the lame encoder, which is Open Source too
gyROS

Post by gyROS »

elhoir wrote:And for MP3, AFAIK there is the lame encoder, which is Open Source too
But MP3 itself is patented by the Fraunhofer-Institute, AFAIK.
unofficialforum

Standards... *facepalm* I don't believe in them.
neither do i... there are a few notable exceptions but rather than get into a long debate about exceptions i'll just mention they exist.
what about XviD? It is open-source
hence "...i know of," i didn't know xvid was open source and it's not something i've ever (that i know of) seen a video in. i've actually seen an ogg theora video.