Install Methods

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Quigs

Install Methods

Post by Quigs »

To really get people to adopt ReactOS over Windows is have an installer from Windows,
Such that you could upgrade to ROS!
or do a clean install and dual-boot.

I recently installed linux and was able to get Grub to boot from NTLDR :).
http://www.geocities.com/lode_leroy/grubinstall/
Well, I dont really have it completely working, but it does go to grub, and from their I manually type in where I want to go, but still.

Similar thing for Freeloader/ROS?

(I dont have a floopy drive and dont want to burn a CD for every release)
Gasmann

Post by Gasmann »

Yes, Freeldr can be loaded from NTLDR.
Once you have installed ReactOS for the first time, you don't need to reinstall freeldr. You can do a make install, this basically installs Ros to C:\reactos (or whatever you specify in the rules.mak file). Maybe you have to upgrade freeldr.sys by a new compiled one to get it booting again.

So you don't need a floppy nor a new (I can't guess why you want to use a new one, just use cd-rw media) cd when you get a new version of ReactOS.
Jaix
Moderator Team

ReactOS on older machines.

Post by Jaix »

I think it would be good to create installation programs for windows and dos, many people who want to test ReactOS will do so on older machines that they don't use anymore, they can have various limitations like no CD and so on.
-If it is possible to upgrade an existing windows installation via a network or other hd, this would surely help many people.
-If it would be possible to start an installation from a dos partition on the computer or even from copied files and a boot-disk, this will allow a whole bunch of new testers I think.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Re: ReactOS on older machines.

Post by Dr. Fred »

Jaix wrote:-If it would be possible to start an installation from a dos partition on the computer or even from copied files and a boot-disk, this will allow a whole bunch of new testers I think.
AFAIK Both is.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

Dr. Fred wrote:
Jaix wrote:-If it would be possible to start an installation from a dos partition on the computer or even from copied files and a boot-disk, this will allow a whole bunch of new testers I think.
AFAIK Both is.
What does AFAIK mean?

So I can copy all the files from the cd to a harddisk and run the installation by executing an exe-file? And is that welcome.exe or reactos.exe in that case?
sebastiaan

Post by sebastiaan »

Jaix wrote:What does AFAIK mean?
As Far As I Know
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Well... installing from DOS is what had to be done before isntaller was there, but I don't remember how it was done.

And I think that the installer can create a boot floppy, so it would be posible to simply use that one.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Quigs

Post by Quigs »

I dont mean "boot" from Windows. I mean run an setup application from within windows to install ROS.
Delfi

Post by Delfi »

the setup application is probably the greatest thing in reactos, and the
freeloader is also a lot better than grub, lilo or any other boot loader.
Wulf

Post by Wulf »

Being able to merge .inf files to install drivers would be cool. Well there aren't many drivers at this point, but it would be nice to be able to select a driver from a list sorted by categories (graphics card, network card, monitor etc...) like windows manual driver installation. Also from what I gather, monitor drivers are merely .inf files describing the specifications of a monitor. It would be great I think to start creating some of these files for distribution in ReactOS. I have 7 or 8 monitors here ranging from old ones to newer flat screen ones. I'd be willing to start to do .inf files for the monitors I have and I can probably have access to more monitors... I don't really know how these files are made in details but I guess it's not much harder than configuring X by editing XF86Config/Xorg.conf... Any thoughts on this?