Interface Design

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

creativewild

Interface Design

Post by creativewild »

Hi ppl, i'm new on this forum, this is my first post, so you can call me noob!

i really think that ReactOS have a future... really.. so this is my contribution for it!

this is how i see reactos in a near future.. the problem is... i'm noob in this C and C++ thing... so i ask if some one knows if is possible to bring the interface design that i made to reactos... by the way... this is a work in progress...

interface here

sorry for the english
gonzoMD

Re: Interface Design

Post by gonzoMD »

nice, but the devs will NOT include a nice Interface they want to let ROS as small and fast as possible.
btw its not the Time to think about an Interface primary target is stability and compatibility
Aape

Post by Aape »

Well if every last proposal is going to be met with "The target is stability and compatibility right now" then what's the point of even having this forum?

As for the concept, it's very nice. I like it, but I wouldn't use it, mostly because I'm the kinda girl that goes for more of a black ;p

But it should never be the default, for a couple of reasons:

1. It doesn't resemble the Windows interface as closely as it should. Since one of the goals of ReactOS is for a former Windows user to be able to sit down and use it without having to make any major adjustments to their old habits, this should be frowned upon.

2. A default interface should be as neutral as possible. Flashy effects should be pleasing, but should never distract from whatever a user is doing. Colors being used in the GUI should also never clash with the colors being used in the user's current task and the user's choice in desktop wallpaper. Having bright reds and oranges everywhere isn't really all that neutral, and due to how warm and vibrant these colors are, they're close to the worst default GUI color palettes you can have. The first being yellow, since Yellow just looks bad everywhere.

Keep working on it though.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Aape wrote:Well if every last proposal is going to be met with "The target is stability and compatibility right now" then what's the point of even having this forum?

As for the concept, it's very nice. I like it, but I wouldn't use it, mostly because I'm the kinda girl that goes for more of a black ;p

But it should never be the default, for a couple of reasons:

1. It doesn't resemble the Windows interface as closely as it should. Since one of the goals of ReactOS is for a former Windows user to be able to sit down and use it without having to make any major adjustments to their old habits, this should be frowned upon.

2. A default interface should be as neutral as possible. Flashy effects should be pleasing, but should never distract from whatever a user is doing. Colors being used in the GUI should also never clash with the colors being used in the user's current task and the user's choice in desktop wallpaper. Having bright reds and oranges everywhere isn't really all that neutral, and due to how warm and vibrant these colors are, they're close to the worst default GUI color palettes you can have. The first being yellow, since Yellow just looks bad everywhere.

Keep working on it though.
This is basically what I was going to say: Wouldn't use it personally, but it looks nice, maybe it could be a Download!-able theme for users who like flashy interfaces, welcome to the forum, etc.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Well...
I´m one of those who think ReactOS could be more than a Flat OS.
Right now it´s obvius that stability and performance are the main issues.But Design is also a step.
I think Ros will have something like Linux Distros. So u can choose the Desktop environment you like.

1)Do u want a fast OS and which looks like XP?=> Use then the actual Design: "Reactos Original" Distro.
2)Do u want a beautiful OS same as XP?=>Make a distro with gorgeus Design but with XP options(start menu,MyPC,etc..):"Ros Crystal" Distro
3)Do u want a beatiful OS but with a newer,incredible,easier,and more gorgeus graphics?=>Make a distro with gorgeus design:"Reactos 2-Click" Distro

Which would be the first step?
Make the 2) option.It´s easier just to change the graphics than changing also the code( 3) option needs new code).
This will give time to developers to improve the code(and finishing it) so will be easier to make the 3) option.

So u can begin designing windows,fonts,icons...and making new full distros ;).

Why not?
kevinski

Post by kevinski »

I'm not a fan of the upper right-hand corner, as the buttons shouldn't jut out like that. Otherwise, it looks nice.
[ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Wii | 7030 8283 2535 8378 ]
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

kevinski wrote:I'm not a fan of the upper right-hand corner, as the buttons shouldn't jut out like that. Otherwise, it looks nice.
Actually, that is why I think that it looks nice - it's breaking out of the everything-is-a-box-it-may-be-rounded-but-it-is-still-a-box idea without going so far as to make every window a weird blob shape.

I wouldn't have it as the default theme, since I'm firmly in the "Windows 2000 Is The Best Ever Interface In The Whole Wide Universe" camp, but I can certainly see why other people, in favour of more eye candy, would like it.
kevinski

Post by kevinski »

I suppose that my main concern, then, would be what it looks like when maximized.
[ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Wii | 7030 8283 2535 8378 ]