"Designed for ReactOS" Logo

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

bz00mmer

"Designed for ReactOS" Logo

Post by bz00mmer »

Hi!

I have an idea: to create "Designed for ReactOS" and "Works with ReactOS" logos, analogous to the "Designed for Windows" logo.

To receive the honorable designation of "Designed for ReactOS", an application must adhere to a list of requirements, for example, it should not require Administrator privilege to function, if it is not really needed, and it should not leave garbage in the filesystem and registry after uninstallation. (Now I am not proposing a list of requirements here, as it is first necessary to agree on idea itself.)

Wiki talk page: http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/T ... or_ReactOS

PS: special thanks to hto for translation from russian!
bz00mmer

Re: "Designed for ReactOS" Logo

Post by bz00mmer »

Sorry for dublicating this topic.

So, this topic in "Design" forum...
I offer publish here your logo examples.
I think, this must be proud logo, which speak about not only compatibility, but about quality software!
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Duplicate of a duplicate, lol.
bz00mmer

Bump!

Post by bz00mmer »

Awaiting yours opinions, suggestions and approves!
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

It makes no sense.
Anything designed for Windows should work on reactos. That's the goal here.
bz00mmer

Post by bz00mmer »

Ged wrote:It makes no sense.
Anything designed for Windows should work on reactos. That's the goal here.
Sorry, Ged, but now I want discuss about unnecessary using admin access rights in applications, registry & filesystem polluting, not about compatibility. Detail >>>

Yes, anything designed for Windows should work.
But Windows security police is not enough for protection from malware, because any software have(by default) unlimited access rights.
If we want to make ReactOS safe, we need use more rigid(hard) preferences.
And then we have troubles with non-malware applications, which use unlimited access rights, for example.
This is just primer, really - we will have much more troubles with unsafe security police or with garbage in filesystem & registry, and more...

We offer create set of rules for creating safe and non-rubbish(as "no garbage creating") applications and give to developers proud logo{tag, label} "Designed for ReactOS", what mean clean & safe application, which accept open specifications from ReactOS.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

No applications are 'designed for ReactOS', they are all designed for windows.
We can't force more stringent guidlines as that makes us incompatible with Windows.
What does software have to do with protection from malware?

Vista is currently takling the problem with software needing admin access (and struggling)
We'll leave it to them for now, it has nothing to do with us.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

We would need to double the current Mac marketshare, to have ANY hope of influence on software producers. Only then we could discuss this kind of things you have in mind.
bz00mmer

Post by bz00mmer »

Guys...
Important thing, I think - make this rules before we have stable releases and influence on software developers,
because in this case developers will know how to create a promising & prospect product .

Moreover, this decision is not forcing us to create incompatibilities, just set of specified standard rules.
Probably, it can be ReactOS Foundation initiative, not our OS.

This mean, that we have this rules in mind & will apply it in future.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

In order for you to not waste your time on this, I can assure you that we won't be making any such rules.
They aren't fitting with the current project goals
SdC

Post by SdC »

Yeah the "Designed for Windows" logo is a just marketing tool anyhow (manufacturers buy a license for the sticker on the product, so the consumer pays in the end. If a product has the logo it doesn't prove it's a good product) so I don't see why ReactOS would need to implement this.
bz00mmer

Post by bz00mmer »

:arrow: Goal of project - is just ONLY full cloning(FOSS, I know) Win32 architecture :?:

Forum: Can virus attack reactOS like windows?
Ged wrote:if the virus attacks a design flaw in a component, and that design flaw has been followed in reactos, then yes.
/me: if the software uses a design flaw in a Windows, then that design will be followed in reactos, right?

Security( ReactOS wiki)
One area where we need to be compatible, yet differentiate ourselves from Windows (TM) is the area of user security...

Security in ReactOS(newsletter):
As far as security in ReactOS goes, there are two methodologies:
  • Windows Security
  • UNIX/Linux/BSD Security
Windows Security, while often an Oxymoron outside of the Windows Server groups, is ultimately the most compatible with the software ReactOS runs. However, it has a fundamental flaw; Most software will only install when given Admin priviledges. This is a major problem in Business environments, since it opens the system up quite needlessly to intrusion.

UNIX, and it's varients, have followed best security practice from the beginning. You run as a local user, and only input an Administrative Password when absolutely needed. It also means software doesn't "Just run", like on Windows, that could potentially install itself, and affect the system without the user seeing any of it.
So, ReactOS want to copy all unsucceful Microsoft decisions?
Last edited by bz00mmer on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

bz00mmer wrote::arrow: Goal of project - is just ONLY full cloning(FOSS, I know) Win32 architecture :?:

Can virus attack reactOS like windows?
Ged wrote:if the virus attacks a design flaw in a component, and that design flaw has been followed in reactos, then yes.
/me: if the software uses a design flaw in a Windows, then that design will be followed in reactos, right?
So, ReactOS want to copy all unsucceful Microsoft decisions?
In the name of compatibility, yes. This is also why the registry is being copied, even though some people see the registry as a weakness in the NT design.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

bz00mmer wrote: So, ReactOS want to copy all unsucceful Microsoft decisions?
Just trust us.
The reactos devs know considerably more about the Windows architecture than your average developer.
This is still early days for reactos, and the area of security will be addressed when the time is right.