cannot boot from live CD

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

artic

cannot boot from live CD

Post by artic »

Hello, I have trouble with booting ReactOS from live CD. After loading ndis.sys PC is restarted. Any sugestion?

GoBusto

Re: cannot boot from live CD

Post by GoBusto »

Are you using the 0.3.5 LiveCD or an SVN build? If an SVN build, which number did you use and was it RELease or a DeBuG?

artic

Post by artic »

I'm using lates oficial release (until today) from sourceforge "ReactOS-0.3.5-REL-live.zip".
I have standard PC (AMD athlon 64 X2 Dual, 2.1 Ghz, 2,43 GB RAM, standard motherboard, ..... nothing special), USB keyborad.
it's weird that it doesn't work.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

artic wrote:I'm using lates oficial release (until today) from sourceforge "ReactOS-0.3.5-REL-live.zip".
I have standard PC (AMD athlon 64 X2 Dual, 2.1 Ghz, 2,43 GB RAM, standard motherboard, ..... nothing special), USB keyborad.
it's weird that it doesn't work.
Well, I can see two potential problems:

1) As far as I know, USB isn't working yet.
2) You're using real hardware. ReactOS only supports a very limited range of hardware right now (there is not yet any SATA drive support, for example) due to lack of drivers and its general Alpha-status-ness. It's generally easier to test it using an emulator, such as QEMU (which is free and open source) or VMWare (Which is MUCH faster and can be obtained gratis, but is not open source).

You could also try using an SVN build. These are more up to date, but are likely to be less stable and lack some of the things that milestone releases have (such as the Download! tool).

artic

Post by artic »

Thank you very much for your answer. I think I must try some emulator.
As I look at the forum, more people have problems with real hardware such as USB and SATA.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

artic wrote:Thank you very much for your answer. I think I must try some emulator.
As I look at the forum, more people have problems with real hardware such as USB and SATA.
I think that it is possible to get around each of these problems, though.

If you need to use a USB mouse or keyboard, you can sometimes enable "legacy support" in the system BIOS, which treats USB input devices as PS2.

Also, it is possible to use SATA drives by replacing the standard driver found in the CD .ISO file (which I think is called ATAPI.SYS) with the UNIATA driver (renamed to ATAPI.SYS so that it is used instead). I can't recall the finer points of this one off the top of my head (since I generally use emulators such as QEMU when testing ReactOS) but the details should be lying around the forum somewhere if you're interested.

Croujdane

Post by Croujdane »

Hi, just found reactOS, fantastic idea.
I've just tried to run the liveCD on MS virtual PC 2007. It goes to a blank screen after AFD.sys is loaded in debug mode. I've also tried installing it onto the virtual HDD, same problem. Any suggestions?
Cheers, Croujdane

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Croujdane wrote:Hi, just found reactOS, fantastic idea.
I've just tried to run the liveCD on Microsoft virtual PC 2007. It goes to a blank screen after AFD.sys is loaded in debug mode. I've also tried installing it onto the virtual HDD, same problem. Any suggestions?
Cheers, Croujdane
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that MS Virtual PC has bugs that prevent ReactOS from running on it correctly. Try using QEMU (open source) or VMWare (very fast) instead.