Keyboard/mouse issues in 0.3.4 real hardware

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Haos
Test Team

Keyboard/mouse issues in 0.3.4 real hardware

Post by Haos »

If anyone had problems with keyboard/mouse not working in real hardware for ROS versions around 0.3.4, please retest, using trunk version, revision number 32153 or later. The errors seem to be fixed, but we would like to hear it from you:)
kiefmymate

Post by kiefmymate »

:lol: Hi All
I am glad to announce that trunk build 32158 is installing on my hardware, Installation gave no problems, allthough my mouse disapeared while I was trying/playing around with the background colours and screen savers. It did not hang the system and I was able to use control alt del to shut the system down after it displayed a menu asking me what to do. It then gave me a message that " the system was tired and you can now switch off (something like that) ".

So well done guys, I am now going to install my network card (netgear), colour card (matrox) and sound (CMedia). The network card installed under 0.3.3, but the colour card ran the setup up to a point then hung the system, I was using WinXP Drivers.

We seem to be going places, keep it up.

Regards
Kiefmymate :lol:
PsyDonia

Post by PsyDonia »

I have now downloaded 32158 rel version.
and the Ps2 keyboard work.
on my very old computer that I have dedicated t orun and test reactos on.
so that version works the ps2 in the setup on RealHardware.
Thanks for the fast fix on this.
Guennie1568

Post by Guennie1568 »

My keyboard works during first setup step too, but when it boots to second setup I have my old error "Couldn't open CodePage Registry Key"
Now I will try the live CD

Edit:| Now i had tested the live CD, but during the boot process I become this error:
[ external image ]
And when I press any key, there comes this blue screen
[ external image ]
I think, it's the same error like reactosfan's one. This error comes on the latest liveCD image 32162 dbg.
This error comes with vmware 1.0.4 and the live CD too
Guennie1568
ROS-Fan und X2Pandora Audioeditor
kiefmymate

Some tips for hardware users

Post by kiefmymate »

Hi All

Just sharing my experience with the 0.3.4 installation on hardware.
1) Your test machine should not be I would say more than three years old.
I am using a Piii Coppermine 600Mhz, 256Mb ram, netgear network card, Matrox G200 Colour and Cmedia sound. Note except for the Nic all the other stuff is onboard.
2) When installing start from the beging, clean install, use a win98 boot disk, bootup and use fdisk and delete all partions. Due not create any partions, let reacos do this for u running from the Cd rom.
3) You should find that your installation should go ok. Looking at the post by Guennie1568 usually when u get this its because the bios cannot be updated, go into bios and if your bios allows it set bios update to enable. or disabble all shadowing if u can do this in bios or see if your ps2 keyboard's interupt can be set. If you have installed Reactos and you have installed other programs like Acrobat reader and after rebooting you get these problems refer back to point 2.
4) I am using a ps2 5 button optical mouse with a normal ps2 keyboard, yes there are a lot of things that dont work but it seems much more stable than before. My mouse pointer dissapears when I try to select a screensaver and I want to preview this, but at least I can use cntrl alt del and use the tab key to restart, which I could not do before. Do not try using a usb mouse or keyboard I cannot get it to work, but we know this is a problem, do not us the above with an ps2 adapter it wont work.
5) If you load software, like nic, colour, cmedia dricers I found that on reboot I would get the same blue screen say something like " serious failure system stopped etc." If you now re install via cd your system might hang at creating registry hives? Here again refer to step 2. I got a couple of these eg: netgear installation worked? but on reboot the famous blue screen, Abode reader installed but on reboot I got some very strange faults eg: lib /..... unable to find etc.
6) Refering to point 5 I suspect it is Dll's thats being loaded which is not compatable at preaent but this is expected. Loading of hardware drivers I suspect the same applies eg: the netgear I tried NT4 and Win98 drivers but Reacos complained that these drivers were not compatible, I used WinXP drivers which loaded but on reboot I got that dreaded blue screen telling me all these weird stuff! I do suspect that is all driver related and today I am going to use ME drivers.
7 The bottom line is that if all else fails refer to point 2. I must say its at present fairly stable allthough you cannot do much withit but its improving and we as a reactos community shouls give the developed a show of hands, and all the support we they need.

Always remmeber linux went thru the same but look where they are today. They have become a viable alternative, allthough the problem will allways be that eg: my field I have companies wrighting software for the legal profession and there is noways they are going to port a linux version of thier software. They are steeped in Microsoft technology with Net and all the other softwares that go with it (MS sql etc)

Thats anough for now hope it helps some of u, even if it helps one of u i have achieved something today, that what all our attituded should be like because tommorow someone helps u. Lastly I read with dissapointment this whole episode about FAT, NTFS etc! dont wast your time worry about it we it happens, we are being side tracked, our objective is to make Reactos a viable solution! Microsoft are not that great as they seem!!!!

Regards

Kiefmymate
kiefmymate

What are we required to do as Alpha testers

Post by kiefmymate »

Hi all

Firstly Reactos trunk build 32158 is still functional, I need to know what is required from me as tester. Do I start pulling the software apart in the sense eg: when adjusting the screen saver and I want to preview it, the mouse pointer dissapears but the system does not hang and I can reboot via the keyboard? Do I comment on what's not working with regard to icons etc., Is there a log file that I can look at or send to u, etc.

Secondly this will be done on hardware, not virtual machines!

Thirdly, some comments about Reactos;
1) With previous builds there use to be a facility that u could rearange your icons some left top, some right top, some right hand side down etc. I see this has dissapeared, is this not going to be part of Reactos in the future?
2) When shuting down you get these messages and then it tells u to switch off. Keep this I think its a great idea, yes we want to get as close as possible to Windows etc. but lets show some individualism with Reactos!

Regards
Kiefmymate
Ps: Question: How did we test progroms before virtual machines!!!!! or am I showing my age :lol:
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Kiefmymate: to be a tester you must test ROS (no matter if on real hardware or on virtual machine). Thing what matters is your feedback with debug logs if you find any problem. If you want to test ROS on real hardware, you must arrange for a debug output (ie. second PC, both connected with null modem cable, on one PC ros DBG, on second one Hyperterminal).

Bug report is only usable to us, if comes with a debug log.
Stefan100
Developer

Post by Stefan100 »

@Guennie1568

Please try LiveCD revision 32181 or later. Some CmLib fixes were committed which might have fixed your problem.
jaga

AT Keyboard

Post by jaga »

In Real hardware the AT keyboard don´t work.
Bye
Guennie1568

Post by Guennie1568 »

Stefan100 wrote:@Guennie1568

Please try LiveCD revision 32181 or later. Some CmLib fixes were committed which might have fixed your problem.
Where can I find it? The ISO folder isn't online. Is there an other way to get it?
Edit:| I have found and will try it. OK
Guennie1568
ROS-Fan und X2Pandora Audioeditor
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I am having problems with the keyboard on real hardware. I found where to download the trunk builds, but HOW do you download them? If I click on "Browse all created Builds" I get "The requested URL /iso was not found on this server." The "download a prebuilt ReactOS version" just sets and says getting file list, never actually GETS a filelist (I've been at the site for over 10 minutes waiting).

I have tried firefox and konqueror in linux, firefox and IE in windows, so it's not my browser.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

As has been mentioned in other threads, the server move disrupted several things on the website. For the time being, use http://iso.reactos.org/
tomleem

off topic - 'press any key'

Post by tomleem »

I noticed the 'press any key' in one of the images. I have read that a computer company dropped the 'press any key' and used 'press a key' since they had a lot of phone calls asking where the 'any' key was on the keyboard. :lol:

I know it is off topic but I thought it was funny. I apologize to anyone who thought it was unnecessary. 8)
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Z98 wrote:As has been mentioned in other threads, the server move disrupted several things on the website. For the time being, use http://iso.reactos.org/
Thanks for that.