Things for the long way to the top...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BlackLotus

Things for the long way to the top...

Post by BlackLotus »

Hey guys :/
Hmm /me made a little mistake ... Thought that ReactOS installer is smart enough to only delete the ntfs partition when it's the only one mentioned in the partition list ....
hmm my fault ... now 300 gb data are gone haha ... that's funny .... hmmm no ... not really it's not :/
arg so ^^ my question when will the first good partition program be integrated in the reactos installation?
So next point ... do u know how long it takes to set the mbr when linux was installed before? no u don't! i sat there for ... don't know hmm the installer does not detect the floppy so i could not install the b ootloader on A: to not install the bootloader was not helpfull and to install it into mbr does not work ... on none of my pcs... hmm so my next question ... hmm just an easy solution don't wanna make a grub floppy and frickl with dll files just because i wanna test the svn
with kind regards me
Guennie1568

Post by Guennie1568 »

Hi

For all your problems we need at first drivers for NTFS and Linux partitions who can read AND write these partitions.
Then we can look or write a better installation wizard like Windows' or Linux's one.
I don't know what open files are there on sourceforge, but i think, this can be an option for that.
do u know how long it takes to set the mbr when linux was installed before?
How do you with windows (when you install it)?
Guennie1568
ROS-Fan und X2Pandora Audioeditor
BlackLotus

Post by BlackLotus »

Guennie1568 wrote:
do u know how long it takes to set the mbr when linux was installed before?
How do you with windows (when you install it)?
I don't get what u mean.
I will not install windows and in the vm (virtualbox) it could install it into the mbr but it does not work on my desktop.
and i don't need ntfs support ... (atm) but i had an ntfs partition and reactos showed it i tried to format it to fat32 but after this the hole disk was deleted.
haaaaaa...
Jaix
Moderator Team

Our condolaces!

Post by Jaix »

I feel sorry for your miss, loosing data isn't fun. However, dualboot a computer with an alpha stage OS isn't recommended unless you don't care about the information on it or know exactly what you're doing.

My recommendation is that you run QEmu or VMWare instead.
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

may be there should be a large warning on the front page of the website telling people not install reactos on a drive that has a pre existing os on it?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@BlackLotus

If you havent done yet with the partition after its been deleted (like you havent installed ROS afterwards on it), its quite straightforward and you can easily recover your data. Even if you written data on it, its still recoverable, but possiby not as a whole partition.
arg so ^^ my question when will the first good partition program be integrated in the reactos installation?
When someone will create one for us.
i had an ntfs partition and reactos showed it i tried to format it to fat32 but after this the hole disk was deleted.
It has only deleted partition informations. You could try to use first a Partition Table Doctor or similar app (it requires windows installed though).

@betaluva
may be there should be a large warning on the front page of the website telling people not install reactos on a drive that has a pre existing os on it?
What for? They wont read it anyway. Our website has a warning that this OS is alpha (not for day-to-day use). Our installer has warnings about its limitations and filesystems it supports. No, its not foolproof. But its impossible to predict all situations and include warnings for every single one of them.
cppm

Post by cppm »

oooh oooh @blacklotus

That data is still recoverable!! Do NOT put another partition in that space :shock:

I had a similar problem after my 'recovery' partition screwed up my partition table and tried to delete the partition with my home (as in *nix /home/blahblah stuff....) on it.

Anyway, after a horrible sinking feeling, i got googling and i found a wonderful FOSS tool... now what was it...

ahah! TestDisk! http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

:D:D this works, saved my ass, and is used by the pros!
Also it'll work under any OS you care to mention. (DOS/Windows 9x, windows NT/XP etc, Mac OS, BSD etc, etc)

Although, warning, when i tried it, it did find my partition wonderfully fast, but it also mistook another of my partitions for a ReiserFS partition. Which, needless to say, was inconvenient, but not the end of the world (better than losing all my data, and if you only have 1 partition it probably won't get confused)

And to think all that started with me trying to erase the password on my bios config. :?

Yeah, so http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk < tis good stuff
BlackLotus

Post by BlackLotus »

First of all thx to you ;)
Yeah I know testdisk but did not work for me ... my partition was crypted with lux ...
and yeah i know that it's not reco. to install an alpha system on a normal hd and i installed it first in virtualbox but if no one test the alpha builds reactos will grow much slower ;)
So I can tell perhaps that there are problems with formatting the system.
When i choose use the existing partiton there are 3 options use the actual partition, format with fat (slow) and format fast but the format does not work in this stage.
Or i can say that atm seems to have problems with my graphiccard/monitor (have to test) and if i don't test it i will not know if it works or not :) and it's ok just 50G music 100G films and 50G documents programs and games...
i miss my wohlstandskinder :( but i have the cd ... not all but some
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

ReactOS as it is in alpha, has several limitation. One of them is that it can use only one primary partition on the same HDD. This practically should discourage you from using your main/production HDD, as any try to install ros would require removal of your main booting partition.

If your partition is encrypted in addition, i would be extra carefull and ask before installing ROS on the production PC.