Opensource OCR and ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

temarez

Opensource OCR and ReactOS

Post by temarez »

Today Russian firm Cognitive Technologies released their once popular product CuneiForm OCR as freeware. They'll also launch free on-line recognition service http://www.cuneiform.ru/ till the end of January. About 10 000 recognitions per day using this service is planned by the end of 2008. The most exciting news is that in March of 2008 Cognitive Technologies will release this OCR as open-source.

This OCR saves text formatting and recognizes complicated tables of any structure. It recognizes Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Russian-English bilingual, Serbian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian texts.

Freeware version can be downloaded here (33 Mb)

[ external image ]

Unfortunately, I could not manage this OCR to work on rev31066. It shows boot splash logo and then it's Window seems to be minimized (with no possiblilty to maximize it). At least it doesn't crash system (BTW, it's installer does) :-|

[ external image ]

temarez

Post by temarez »

I decided that this application is worthy of creation Wikipedia article about it.

ShakespeareFan01

Re: Opensource OCR and ReactOS

Post by ShakespeareFan01 »

(deleted)
Last edited by ShakespeareFan01 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

temarez

Post by temarez »

ShakespeareFan01 wrote: Can you get an official confirmation letter from them in English (and their US arm www.ocr.com) that freeware and open sourcing is being actively considered? Until then I am skeptical given the existence of a number of 'cracking' and warez groups in the region the above site originates.
I was already asked this question in wikipedia, people don't believe it :-)

You can take a look at this news. Unfortunately it is in Russian. Here ate translations from online translation services: Promt and Babel Fish. Look at the very bottom.

There is also news in Cognitive Technologies official website (in Russian also).

There was official press-conference regarding this event on 12 of December.

ShakespeareFan01

(deleted)
Last edited by ShakespeareFan01 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

temarez

Post by temarez »

ShakespeareFan01 wrote: Installer link given above appears to be a dud... :(
(The installer didn't on my Win 9x install, I am assuming Cunieform was built for NT/XP, and for Cyrillic fonts... If they are serious about freeware
I need to be able to read what the installer says :) )
Everything works fine in my Windows XP SP2 RUS. But I know that there is a problem in Vista. I found how to manage it and translating from russian, maybe this will help in your case:
Installer is corrupted, this problem can be solved by editing the file "CuneiForm v12 Master.msi" (which will be unpacked to your TEMP directory after startup of setup.exe).

You can edit this file with Orca (from Windows SDK), if you have no one, get here.

Open the file of "CuneiForm v12 Master.msi" with Orca, find the line of "LaunchCondition" and delete a record there (right-click it and select "Drop Row"). Then save file and everything will work.
I think you can install it by clicking the middle button each time installer asks you something. It says "Next >" ("Далее >" in Russian) :-)

ShakespeareFan01

(deleted)
Last edited by ShakespeareFan01 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

temarez

Post by temarez »

CuneiForm works in wine 0.9.52. Maybe after syncing some libs with latest wine versions it will work in ROS?