Live CD won't pass the logo screen

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

calande

Post by calande » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:01 pm

I have downloaded twice the .iso live CD, I have burnt it on 2 different CDs, and I have tried to load it on my desktop and on my wife's computer but in both cases it won't pass the blue ReactOS logo. Do I have to hit a specific key? TIA,

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:00 am

If the livecd was 0.3.1, it is possibly one of the numerous errors. This is why we suggest using cd-rw not cdr.

You should try latest trunk (bottom of the download page). Mind that LiveCD are a bit less stable and more prone to bugs, due to their nature.

We also suggest to test ReactOS under emulators (QEMU or VMWare). Both are working nice and available freely (QEMU is opensource, VMWare has a freely available version - Vmware server).

Real hardware is faster, but can be a source of many new bugs. Debugging on real hardware is also more difficult. Making ReactOS work under emu software is a lot easier and faster.

If you are determined to help us fixing the specific bugs that may target your PC, you would need a null modem cable and other PC connected to the first through it. This way you can receive debug output, that is very important in the fixing process (it also would require additional actions, but i dont want to scare you:P).

If you have any other questions/issues, you can ask here, or on our irc channel.

Patafil

Post by Patafil » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:08 pm

I just downloaded ReactOS a few days ago for the first time. I had the exact same problem on two older DELL machines.

The Logo appears on the screen when booting from live CD and then nothing happens. I left one machine in this status for a whole day just to see if it would eventually react. :-)

However, the QEMU download works fine on my Windows XP Pro machine, so I'm sticking to that to explore ReactOS for the time being.

Hope this helps.

netaces2k

LiveCD doesn't boot

Post by netaces2k » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:24 pm

Is there an issue with certain hardware configurations?

Such as a dual processor system, or CPU clock speeds above a certain level?

I've got the nVidia CK804 (nForce4 Ultra) chipset on my Asus mobo, here. With an AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ processor. 1Gb or RAM. RealTek ALC850 audio and nVidia LAN. This comp has three hdd's in it, 160Gb, 60Gb and a 80Gb with a NEC ND-3550a DVD burner. I'm using an 3VGA e-GeForce 7300GS PCI-E video card.

ReactOS should work here, shouldn't it?

Guennie1568

Re: LiveCD doesn't boot

Post by Guennie1568 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:17 pm

netaces2k wrote:Is there an issue with certain hardware configurations?

Such as a dual processor system, or CPU clock speeds above a certain level?

I've got the nVidia CK804 (nForce4 Ultra) chipset on my Asus mobo, here. With an AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ processor. 1Gb or RAM. RealTek ALC850 audio and nVidia LAN. This comp has three hdd's in it, 160Gb, 60Gb and a 80Gb with a NEC ND-3550a DVD burner. I'm using an 3VGA e-GeForce 7300GS PCI-E video card.

ReactOS should work here, shouldn't it?
I think, it will work, if your HDDs are NOT plugged on SATA, because ReactOS have no SATA support at the moment.
I think, it's better at this time, when you burn and install an ISO file from svn.reactos.org, because the actual version 0.3.1 is buggy to install on real hardware.
Guennie1568
ROS-Fan und X2Pandora Audioeditor

netaces2k

Post by netaces2k » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:22 pm

Thanks for the tip. I look forward to the implimentation of SATA and the removal of some of the current buggers.....