ReactOS boot requirements?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

elfstones69

ReactOS boot requirements?

Post by elfstones69 »

I tried to install Reactos ISO from:

http://reactsoft.com/reactos-optimized-02042005.zip

On a Dell Dimension that has Suse 9.1. It booted from the disk, installed, but would not override lilo.

So I tried on a Dell laptop that had Slackware 10. same thing.

Next I tried on a Medion Laptop with Windows XP. It detected that I had a bootable CD, but would fail stating a non valid partition. So I never even saw the reactos setup.

Anyone know how to get ReactOS to override lilo? None of the three computers have floppies. All Pentium 4s.

elfstones69

Re: ReactOS boot requirements?

Post by elfstones69 »

As a followup. In the past I have had the lilo problem trying to install windows over linux, but I had a disk hex editor or a lowlevel format utility on a floppy to help me out.

I don't know if developer read these forums, but would it be possible to have the install process give the option to remove lilo?

Gedi

Post by Gedi »

for lilo, you'll need to configure your /etc/lilo.config file to point to freeloader.sys
Assuming you know how to alter lilo.config correctly, you can pick up the parameters from here

As for XP, your probably trying to install onto an NTFS partition. You'll need to set up a seperate fat32 partition to install ROS onto as NTFS is not supported at the moment.

elfstones69

Post by elfstones69 »

Gedi wrote:for lilo, you'll need to configure your /etc/lilo.config file to point to freeloader.sys
Assuming you know how to alter lilo.config correctly, you can pick up the parameters from here
That will be rather hard to do since I reformatted and installed ReactOS on the hard drive.

The problem is that LILO has been written on the hard drive before ReactOS starts it's write.
Apparently both Windows and ReactOS do not touch this area.

Gedi wrote: As for XP, your probably trying to install onto an NTFS partition. You'll need to set up a seperate fat32 partition to install ROS onto as NTFS is not supported at the moment.
I don't believe this is the problem with the XP laptop. I assume that the ReactOS installation, if executed, would allow the deletion of the NTFS partition like it allowed me to delete the Ext3 partition.

GvG

Post by GvG »

elfstones69 wrote:That will be rather hard to do since I reformatted and installed ReactOS on the hard drive.

The problem is that LILO has been written on the hard drive before ReactOS starts it's write.
Apparently both Windows and ReactOS do not touch this area.
There are two bootsectors involved: the Master Boot Record and the partition boot record. ReactOS install will write the partition boot record if you tell it to, but it won't touch the MBR if there is already a valid MBR signature.
In the old days you used to be able to create a new MBR using "fdisk /MBR" in DOS/Windows.

Toxigenicpoem

Post by Toxigenicpoem »

Yep GvGs solution will work just fine.

elfstones69

Post by elfstones69 »

Thanks to all for the input; using a windows bootable recovery disk, I was able to get ReactOS running on the Dell Desktop. :)

I was impressed with how much has been done in 8 months from the last time I touched the OS! ReactOS is starting to mature into a nice OS.