Crash after communication device driver dialogue!

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Silver Sonic

Crash after communication device driver dialogue!

Post by Silver Sonic »

I think the subject describes it good enough

I wanted to try out this interesting OS but when i started it and the driver dialogues start it crashes after the communication devices dialogue! Every reboot!

Writing from my Windows OS right now

thx in advance for answers :)

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

well, it is still in alpha, meaning it is not suitable for daily use. Also, (quite) some parts are not finished yet, resulting in bluescreens and such...
-graey-

preston
Developer

Post by preston »

Hi and welcome to ROS!

could you provide more info? for example which version have you tried?

Silver Sonic

Post by Silver Sonic »

preston wrote:Hi and welcome to ROS!

could you provide more info? for example which version have you tried?
React OS 0.3

It boots up shows the desktop, then the driver dialogue for communication devices shows up and it freezes :(

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Are you hitting next? Cause generally it's advisable to just hit cancel for 0.3.0. Also, 0.3.1 should be out very soon. All the release images are done and the changelog more or less completed.

Silver Sonic

Post by Silver Sonic »

Z98 wrote:Are you hitting next? Cause generally it's advisable to just hit cancel for 0.3.0. Also, 0.3.1 should be out very soon. All the release images are done and the changelog more or less completed.
I do nothing. It crashes after loading up the dialogue the other driver dialogues worked well (?)

preston
Developer

Post by preston »

Silver Sonic wrote:
Z98 wrote:Are you hitting next? Cause generally it's advisable to just hit cancel for 0.3.0. Also, 0.3.1 should be out very soon. All the release images are done and the changelog more or less completed.
I do nothing. It crashes after loading up the dialogue the other driver dialogues worked well (?)
I advise you to wait for the next release (0.3.1) it should be out very (VERY) soon :)

preston
Developer

Post by preston »

preston wrote: I advise you to wait for the next release (0.3.1) it should be out very (VERY) soon :)
http://www.reactos.org/en/news_page_34.html told you it will be soon :D

Silver Sonic

Post by Silver Sonic »

preston wrote:
preston wrote: I advise you to wait for the next release (0.3.1) it should be out very (VERY) soon :)
http://www.reactos.org/en/news_page_34.html told you it will be soon :D
I will download and install it!

But what are communication devices? I could remove them if the problem will still go on...

Should I just install the copy over the existing one or should I remove my React Os folder from Windows first?

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Uh, what do you mean remove ReactOS from Windows first? Are you dual-booting or something?

Silver Sonic

Post by Silver Sonic »

Z98 wrote:Uh, what do you mean remove ReactOS from Windows first? Are you dual-booting or something?
I use Windows and React Os. yeah

I just wanted to ask should i remove D:\rectos before istallin 0.3.1?

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

If you ask the ReactOS installer to format the hard drive, it'll delete it for you.

Silver Sonic

Post by Silver Sonic »

Z98 wrote:If you ask the ReactOS installer to format the hard drive, it'll delete it for you.
I don't want to format the harddrive! So I have to do it manually?

And what are communication devices?

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Just so I fully understand what your system is. You have two HDs or two partitions on one HD. One I assume is dedicated to Windows, the other dedicated to ReactOS. Correct?

If that is the case, I suggest you keep two things in mind. First, ROS provides no real upgrade path, since all the releases are literally snapshots of the development process. Second, 0.3.1 is far more unstable compared to 0.3.0. If you've invested a certain amount of time getting your 0.3.0 running the way you want it to, be careful upgrading to 0.3.1.

Communication devices can be anything from network cards to modems, etc.

Silver Sonic

Post by Silver Sonic »

Well, ok I decided to use windows again because it says something about registry pages error when I started the new 0.3.1

I installed it on my C:\ drive there windows is too because that new installer can only detect C:\ and the other partitions are "unpartioned diskspace"

How do I remove React Os from my bootloader? And how can I delete the two React Os folders?

I will try React Os again when the development is further