DirectX 10 for ROS and real XP?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ratteler

DirectX 10 for ROS and real XP?

Post by Ratteler »

I know that ReactOS plans to implement a DX9 environment, but given the state of Windows... would it be possible to leapfrog DX9 and create a DirectX10 compatible system.

Given that ROS will eventually emulate XP, there would be a huge demand for a working DX10 clone that ran under REAL XP, as well as on the ROS kernal.

Really, DX10 is the only part of Vista that has any value do to games written specifically for it. The rest of Vista is well... XP with a fake OS X interface on it.

I'll put $100 into a bounty for DX10 for XP/ROS right now!!! and I'll add $25 a month.

walter

Post by walter »

i'm not a programmer, but since dx in vista has changed a lot from xp, i think it's not very easy.

if i recall correctly, vista has both directx 10 and 9.0l (9.0 is for retrocompatibility). windows xp can't have dx 10 because these need a different driver model.

frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

ReactOS 0.6 will have full DirectX 1-9 support (including DDraw which has been discontinued, last version is v. 7).

DX 10 is only partly based on former DX code base and is incompatible in some ways (kernel, etc.). Which means that a seperate implementation is requiered, although there is no roadmap about DX available, at current date.

DirectX 10 beta works fine in WinXP SP2 (but not with full power, because of some NT 6 kernel changes). So if DX 10 won't get released for WinXP it looks more like a PR decision to push Vista than anything else.

Remember, don't beleave every marketing crap you may read/hear on some news media which are acting like jumping-jacks for big companies.

Cristan

Post by Cristan »

Well, it could work. Wine is working quite hard to enable DirectX 10 and will also make a port for Windows XP. If this works, I guess ReactOS could make DirectX 10 work pretty easy when having DirectX 9 working. I'm afraid that having DirectX 9 working is mostly the difficult part, and this could take a while..

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

Hi
If I can work 3-4 month fulltime on reactos I can promiers dx 1-7 is finsh at that time frame. But I am limit of time around 4-8hours in week at moment to coding on reactos.

About DX10, DX10 is back ported to windows xp. I have the beta at home.

dreams

Post by dreams »

GreatLord wrote:Hi
If I can work 3-4 month fulltime on reactos I can promiers dx 1-7 is finsh at that time frame. But I am limit of time around 4-8hours in week at moment to coding on reactos.

About DX10, DX10 is back ported to windows xp. I have the beta at home.
You are doing a great job GreatLord.

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

hurray! 8)

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Huh? I thought DirectX 10 was one of the few things that wasn't being backported to XP. Do you have a link?

Wierd

Post by Wierd »

Think critically for a moment:

Would it be 'sane' to expect game developers to write games ON a platform that is in Beta status?

That is what MS would be demanding, if they did not offer the DX10 beta, backported on XP. THey want DX10 to be adopted, and so, they offer it backported to a known 'stable' (*herm*) platform.

Cristan

DirectX 10 on XP

Post by Cristan »

DirectX 10 isn't backported to Windows XP by Microsoft (most likely to boost Vista sales). However: it is backported by Wine (they have Windows binaries in order to test things, and they work pretty hard on DirectX 10, so this is quite logical).

Randall_Lind

There is a DirectX 10 for XP sortof

Post by Randall_Lind »

It will be called DirectX 9.0L which will allow Direct X 10 games to be played on XP unless this change. It may not be a true Direct X 10 but it will allow games to work.

Before I would worry about it the video cards need to support it and the price of new cards that support it is like $500 or more last I seen there was 1 card that supported it.

I am not paying $300 for Vista and $500 for a video card to play games.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35110

Karl

Post by Karl »

DirectX 9.0L is a DirectX 9 compatibility layer for Vista. It has nothing to do with XP.

DirectX 10 is Vista-only because it is heavily dependent on the new user-mode display driver model (WDDM). There are basically two tiers to WDDM:

WDDM v1:
For DirectX 9 cards

WDDM v2:
For DirectX 10 cards. DX10 cards will not be able to use DirectX 10 features without these drivers.

So if ROS or WINE want to implement DX10, they'd have to implement WDDM v2 (which isn't easy).

svin83

What about this??

Post by svin83 »

Falling Leaf Systems claim to have a 'solution' to this...

I don't know if that's the case, but since I'm no DX guru, could anyone with a little more DX savvy please check it out?

Just check if they're on the right track from what they say.

Imho, they seem too greedy to want to have anything with ROS to do, but I wouldn't know...

Someone with their _functioning_ brains connected to their mouth could give it a little try? (Talk them into helping out in ReactOS)

http://www.fallingleafsystems.com/

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

GreatLord has already talked to Falling Leaf Systems. The short version is, their work is relatively useless to us, since we're taking a different approach to implementing DirectX.