ROS as standard OS in Internet Cafe

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

infinitefate

ROS as standard OS in Internet Cafe

Post by infinitefate »

Hi! I'm an internet cafe owner here in the Philippines. I am very much excited on a stable release of ROS because it will greatly help us cut our cost in software licenses. With ROS as our OS, Mozilla Firefox as Internet Browser and OpenOffice as our Office Productivity Suite, we will spend virtually nothing on good software for a basic cafe. I sure hope that ROS would provide good support for outstanding games like Warcraft III and online games because they are very much in demand here in our country. I have very little knowledge in coding so I think the best way I can contribute to this project is to test programs, report feedback, and tell others about this project. Once again, thanks and hope you can have a stable release soon. =)
forart

Re: ROS as standard OS in Internet Cafe

Post by forart »

infinitefate wrote:we will spend virtually nothing on good software for a basic cafe.
Wanna remember everyone that open source DOES NOT means free of charge.

Of course, ROS (as other software you mentioned) are distributed freely, but consider to donate even a small percentage of your profit to support projects, expecially for ROS that is in alpha stage.
infinitefate wrote:I think the best way I can contribute to this project is to test programs, report feedback, and tell others about this project.
Sure, you can also print some phisical flyers for cafe customers; check out the Press Kit page on the wiki.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Hello. I think its a really good Idea to use ReactOS in an Internet Cafe. As you said it would be waaay cheaper. But please bear in mind that it will take some more years, until it would be stable enough to be used by 100s of n00bish users. :-P Its quite unstable and likes to hang or die to a BSOD. Perhaps you could set up some test PCs to make some PR, but you'll see that its far from being able to be used for everyday use. In the ReactOS wiki there are some whitepapers and flyers. They would be less work intense to make some PR than a test PC would be
Last edited by EmuandCo on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infinitefate

Post by infinitefate »

Thanks for the flyers link, going to post that in our shop.
GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord »

DirectDraw 1-7 are under devloping. when directdraw is done. I will take care of next part like DirectD3D 8,9 and 10 after that Dshow or Dplay.

I am allown in this area at moment and allot code are under experment and directdraw 1-7 internal arch are changes one more time. I hope this is last time I need rewrite the arch.
Cristan

Re: ROS as standard OS in Internet Cafe

Post by Cristan »

forart wrote:Wanna remember everyone that open source DOES NOT means free of charge.
Well, ReactOS is free. If he wants to contribute or not is totally up to him.

I think running ReactOS could be very well a valid option for your internet café. I think that in half a year, maybe you can run it without too much problems (although probably far from optimal), but if you want to play older, hardware accelerated games I think it will take at least another year and a half (although I'm totally guessing now).

If you want to help, perhaps you could start installing ReactOS, and try software out and report bugs at bugzilla and the status of software at the compatibility database.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

For this its really what team complete direct X first.

Winehq or Reactos.

Winehq + Linux does make a good Internet Cafe. Software exists to manager it and control it.

Reactos still will be useful for devices that don't support linux.