React OS Drivers

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Flappz

React OS Drivers

Post by Flappz »

OK Ladies
I need drivers, I was wondering if this would work but I need some help.
Is it possible to Install Windows 2000, Save the Drivers to a floppy or a JumpDrive that have been installed to my system for windows to reconize them, Insert them into my ROS ISO or Install ROS and then copy them over so ROS will use them to correctly use my hardware?
Am I dumb or might this work.
Also, umm, Where is the path that Windows 2000 saves the drivers that my PC is currently using.
Thanks to all who respond, I want to use ROS but I keep having problems due to drivers. On my last attempt last weekend the PC I Installed ROS to, the mouse wouldnt work and the keyboard was not toally working.
Peace
Flappz

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

I've never seen that to work in Windows, mainly because of Registry changes that also takes place. It's also another reason one can't copy over applications from one computer to another. However, there might be a way of copying the files, and when ReactOS asks for the drivers, point it to the folder on the floppy, and maybe it'll install it then. But if that works, I'd be highly surprised.

Flappz

Post by Flappz »

Yea thats exactly what i wanna do,
but i need to know if someone knows how to find where the driver is windows decided to use, so i can copy it

walter

Post by walter »

you can try watching in the hw control panel, double click on a device and watching around the tabs you should be able to find the list of files used by a driver

Flappz

Post by Flappz »

DID IT, I thinks
I have to go home and reinstall it, but the drivers are located in...

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers.

There are not a whole lot of files in there so i think Windows copies the driver into there off the cd, I dont think its all the drivers windows has, just the one it needs.
hopefully this will work and help me, the only problem on this note now is that I have to figure out how to get the damn mouse to work so I can install em....

Stead

Post by Stead »

well i'm not sure if anyones heard of this but i've found this useful inthe past when needing to get windows drivers from an installed windows

http://boozet.xepher.net/dd/index.htm

lets you select the drivers you need and save them :)

sorry if i'm not supposed to post the link! just thought it was useful!

Flappz

Post by Flappz »

Im downloading that and saving it on my server.
thats perfekt!
Thanks man your a Godsend
Peace
Flappz

Jaix
Moderator Team

Dual boot is thr key!

Post by Jaix »

I would say you are really close to a solution. The key is to dual boot your system(thar actually works really well). First you install w2k and then ROS. Then copy the system32\drivers and the windows\inf folders from the windows folder to the ROS corresponding folder NOT OVERWRITING ANY FILES. Then reboot your system and check if everything is working. If something crashes delete the .sys file and it's corresponding .inf file and reboot again. This works thanks to the pnp system.