ReactOS 0.3 runs on 28MB ram

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

samwise52

ReactOS 0.3 runs on 28MB ram

Post by samwise52 »

Some of you thought it was not posible... here it is.

[ external image ]

the important thing to note is that this is a 0.3 release build (the one in the web site(install cd) @ http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/download.html
nothing special.. running in vmware. Yes it was slower than usual(with all the crazy paging going on),but I managed to download the mozilla activex control...

I tried to repeat the same using a debug build of trunk which barely survived with 56MB. probably because of all the extra debugging info in the binaries
Last edited by samwise52 on Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4
Sirmatto

Re: ReactOS 0.3 runs on 24MB ram

Post by Sirmatto »

samwise52 wrote:Some of you thought it was not posible... here it is.

the important thing to note is that this is a 0.3 release build (the one in the web site(install cd) @ http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/download.html
nothing special.. running in vmware. Yes it was slower than usual(with all the crazy paging going on),but I managed to download the mozilla activex control...

I tried to repeat the same using a debug build of trunk which barely survived with 56MB. probably because of all the extra debugging info in the binaries
How about the installer bug, that mysteriously makes it so you need more than 32 MB, is that still present?
walter

Post by walter »

great!!! if you can take it to 16 it will be a "moral challenge" to Windows 98!! :D
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Try building with ROS_LEAN_AND_MEAN.
Alex Ionescu wrote:With ROS_LEAN_AND_MEAN and DBG = 1, with all drivers and the bells and
whistles, a boot to NCLI with 8MB gave me a working system with still
2MB to spare (perhaps for a native FTP server or other application).
If I remove the network layer, I can boot with 6MB, and I still have 1MB
free.

I'm trying with DBG = 0 now. Maybe I can boot with 4MB :D.
samwise52

Post by samwise52 »

How about the installer bug, that mysteriously makes it so you need more than 32 MB, is that still present?
I forgot to mention that this was going through the entire install process.
I think that if you just boot you might be able to take it lower, but not by much...
Can you picture what could be? So limitless and free.. in need of your help ReactOS 0.4
walter

Post by walter »

incredible!!! :shock: that's really great!!!
Davy

Post by Davy »

wow! :D if u could pull it down to just 8mb of ram it could theoretically work on Pocket PCs if ARM support was ever introduced :D

Good work :D
Davy

Post by Davy »

i dugg this article on digg :)