Close to acheiving

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Berk Wyatt

Close to acheiving

Post by Berk Wyatt » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:29 pm

OK - quick history of what I am attempting to do.

I recently picked up a trojan on my XP machine. I tried getting rid of it but failed and decided to reformat and install. I got to thinking - why not a Linux distro? I have toyed with Linux on and off - trying various Live CD's. This time I decided that I wanted to plunge in.

I downloaded and installed Suse 10.1. Runs great - love it. I then wanted bigger fish to fry. I downloaded VMware server. I have since installed that and found ReactOS. I was intrigued - an XP clone? Great! Now I can get way from MS even more!

I downloaded the VMware images for React OS and placed them into the VM directory. ReactOS boots great! Now I am in a little bit of a snag.

I added both a USB controller and the CDrom hardware via VMware. For some reason when I put a CD in the drive ReactOS returns with a "file system error." At first I thought that the Suse mounted CD drive was interfering - I unmounted it - still the same error. I also tried using my USB travel drive but it seems - according to some posts here - these drives are not yet supported. At first I thought USB was not supported yet but my mouse is a USB mouse and that works so I a little confused. I take it there is some USB support but not portable USB device support. As far as the CD rom goes I am not sure what's up there. My real aim is to try to installed and run my Autodesk Architectural Desktop program via ReactOS. Everything is going well so far except for this snag.

If anyone can tell me why I can't read the CDrom that would be great and I would be very close to acheiving my goal. :D

Even if that doesn't happen - great work guys!

Coviti

Post by Coviti » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:09 pm

As far as USB goes, Woodhead's USB Stack has been imported to trunk. Of course, it's nowhere near ready to be used, but with some work, it *should* help to improve ReactOS USB Support.

About your CD-ROM, I really have no clue. There is a bug in cdfs.sys (At least I believe it to be in cdfs.sys) that causes an endless loop of volume verification requests (I would fix it, if I knew some C ;)), but I doubt this is the problem you're having.

Berk Wyatt

Post by Berk Wyatt » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:10 am

Well, I am still trying. I have spent some time sifting through forums posts on VMware but no one seems to be having a problem like this. I am posting a PNG of my desktop. React is telling me that I have missing file system device drivers. Could something have been left out - how might I install them? The disk I had in my CDrom was C&C Red Alert so it must be a FAT or VFAT file system right?

I have tried installing the VMware tools and it starts the install but then quits. Not sure what's going on there either.

http://www.box.net/public/mad4lgysk5

nathanieljp

Me Too!

Post by nathanieljp » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:44 pm

Hi,
I also have the same error occur whenever i try to access a cd - i tried Ubuntu and some music cds. I use the ReactOS QEmu 3.0 RC3 version from the downloads page. Not sure how it'll help you, just thought i'd report it as well :wink:

Nathaniel JP

Berk Wyatt

Post by Berk Wyatt » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:38 pm

Pleasse forgive my ignorance - there is a reason I am posting in the newbie forum.... If I download the Qemu version will that boot inside of Linux? My only familiarity is with DSL booting inside of windows.

Coviti

Post by Coviti » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:52 pm

Yes, the Qemu image will boot in any Qemu installation, including a Linux one. This way you can try it in Qemu if VMWare isn't working for you.