Installing with Linux

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

tkm625

Installing with Linux

Post by tkm625 »

I've already got Linux installed (I run Ubuntu) and I've seen no mention of whether or not installing ReactOS will recognize that I already have Ubuntu running, and will let me chose which OS to boot to. Does it?

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost »

Welcome !!

I dont know much bout Linux but heres the help i can give.....
U'll need a free partition ...... (but considering that ReactOS is in ALPHA stage of development u should try ReactOS first in a VM like QEMU imho )
If Ubuntu uses GRUB as boot manager then u can use this article to dual boot using grub ..... (during install dont allow it to over write the boot sector)

http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... _from_GRUB

and again ReactOS is in alpha stage of development and not recomended for everyday use...

Imraith-Nimphais

Post by Imraith-Nimphais »

I've installed ReactOS 0.3 RC1 on a Acer 1352 laptop running XUbuntu. The install went fine, and it didn't over write the boot sector. (In fact it didn't do it even when I asked.) To start ReactOS you have to append the lines:

title ReactOS
root (hd0,0)
kernel /freeldr.sys

to your /boot/grub/menu.lst file (assuming you are using grub). When grub starts, press [Esc] to enter the menu and select ReactOS.

(hd0, 0) should of course be replaced by the drive and partition you are using. If you don't know how grub number partitions, look at the link in GreyGhost's reply.

When you start ReactOS the first time you will enter a post-install stage, where ReactOS will attempt to install drivers for different devices. For me, this did not work at all. I could move the post install guide on the desktop, and run for example the Minesweeper clone, browse the disk etc. When attempting to complete the guide, however, it did not find any drivers and crashed with the following message:

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0x9F1C2B45, 0x00000000, 0x05000024)
*** usbuhci.sys - Address 0x9F1C2B45 base at 0x9F1BD000, DateStamp 0x0

followed by a dump of the processor registers. Since then, the computer crashes with the same message every time i try to reboot. I do not know whether this is caused by my hardware or something else.

Has anybody else encountered this problem?

Coviti

Post by Coviti »

Imraith-Nimphais wrote:I've installed ReactOS 0.3 RC1 on a Acer 1352 laptop running XUbuntu. The install went fine, and it didn't over write the boot sector. (In fact it didn't do it even when I asked.) To start ReactOS you have to append the lines:

title ReactOS
root (hd0,0)
kernel /freeldr.sys

to your /boot/grub/menu.lst file (assuming you are using grub). When grub starts, press [Esc] to enter the menu and select ReactOS.

(hd0, 0) should of course be replaced by the drive and partition you are using. If you don't know how grub number partitions, look at the link in GreyGhost's reply.

When you start ReactOS the first time you will enter a post-install stage, where ReactOS will attempt to install drivers for different devices. For me, this did not work at all. I could move the post install guide on the desktop, and run for example the Minesweeper clone, browse the disk etc. When attempting to complete the guide, however, it did not find any drivers and crashed with the following message:

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000001E (0xC0000005, 0x9F1C2B45, 0x00000000, 0x05000024)
*** usbuhci.sys - Address 0x9F1C2B45 base at 0x9F1BD000, DateStamp 0x0

followed by a dump of the processor registers. Since then, the computer crashes with the same message every time i try to reboot. I do not know whether this is caused by my hardware or something else.

Has anybody else encountered this problem?
Sounds like Bugzilla is feeling excluded. ;)