Bootloader is not installing!

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

ninjabob7

Bootloader is not installing!

Post by ninjabob7 » Thu May 18, 2006 3:09 am

I'm trying to install ReactOS 0.29. I ran the installation, and it installed all its files, but the bootloader isn't installed. The first part got installed to the partition OK. I can get to it by chainloading +1 with GRUB. (Don't know exactly what that means, but it's how you boot Windows.) It put a message saying it couldn't find freeldr.sys. I copied freeldr.sys from the CD to C:\, C:\ReactOS, and C:\ReactOS\system32. I'm not sure which one it found it in, but it did. Now it wants freeldr.ini, which is not on the cd. I assume this is some kind of config file?
I tried installing the bootloader to a floppy, but it didn't work either. It kept saying there was no disk in the drive.
I've also tried this on Bochs (under Linux on another computer), and the same thing happens.
Can someone tell me how to install the bootloader or give me a freeldr.ini?

Coviti

Post by Coviti » Thu May 18, 2006 4:27 am

Did you try X:\REACTOS\REACTOS.CAB when you looked for freeldr.ini (Where X: is your CD Drive)?

ninjabob7

Post by ninjabob7 » Thu May 18, 2006 4:53 am

No, I hadn't tried that. I did just now and it wasn't there, as I expected. I think it has to be generated during setup. BTW, I am currently running only Linux on that machine. I do have others with Windows, though.

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost » Thu May 18, 2006 2:08 pm

The floppy.... (i'll post bout freeldr.ini next)
make sure its formated and works ...( i have experienced this problem with floopy with error...)
and also when the floppy is working properly it will display a windows saying "no floppy" press enter and then it moves on to "press any key to restart" wait for some time and when the flooppy drive is done press enter....
Hope it works ....

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost » Thu May 18, 2006 2:13 pm

Bout freeldr.ini ...
As far as i know it doesnt come in the .iso .... here is how i think u can manually set it up...
1 - Go here , http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/Xen_port ,
Copy the part starting from
[FREELOADER]
DefaultOS=ReactOS

till

Options=/DEBUGPORT=SCREEN /NOGUIBOOT
(in short the part in dashed border .....
2- Paste it into your text editor and save the file in the same place as freeldr.sys and name it as freeldr.ini

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost » Thu May 18, 2006 2:25 pm

I read through it and i'm pretty sure that ,

[ReactOS]
BootType=ReactOS
SystemPath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)\ReactOS

[ReactOS_Debug]
BootType=ReactOS
SystemPath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)\ReactOS

SHOULD HAVE BOTH , SystemPath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\ReactOS

So it will be changed to ,

[ReactOS]
BootType=ReactOS
SystemPath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\ReactOS

[ReactOS_Debug]
BootType=ReactOS
SystemPath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\ReactOS

Considering that u have ros in C:...
Hope it works

ninjabob7

New problems

Post by ninjabob7 » Fri May 19, 2006 1:44 am

Okay, the bootloader loads now. Unfortunately, it won't boot properly. I think there are faulty instructions in freeldr.ini. I can still boot it by pressing F8 and selecting custom boot, then hd0, then 0, then blank.
The first time, it booted into its little setup thing and I ran through it. When it tried to reboot at the end, it just went to a blank blue screen.
I booted it again, and it got to the splash screen, then a blue screen with two lines of text on it (I think the first one was ID, but I didn't get a good look at it). Then it shut down. I tried it again, same thing.
I think when GreyGhost said partition(1) he should have put partition(0). I'll go try that, but it probably won't fix my shutdown problem.

Jaix
Moderator Team

Re: Bootloader is not installing!

Post by Jaix » Fri May 19, 2006 8:03 pm

ninjabob7 wrote:I'm trying to install ReactOS 0.29. I ran the installation, and it installed all its files, but the bootloader isn't installed. The first part got installed to the partition OK. I can get to it by chainloading +1 with GRUB. (Don't know exactly what that means, but it's how you boot Windows.) It put a message saying it couldn't find freeldr.sys. I copied freeldr.sys from the CD to C:\, C:\ReactOS, and C:\ReactOS\system32. I'm not sure which one it found it in, but it did. Now it wants freeldr.ini, which is not on the cd. I assume this is some kind of config file?
I tried installing the bootloader to a floppy, but it didn't work either. It kept saying there was no disk in the drive.
I've also tried this on Bochs (under Linux on another computer), and the same thing happens.
Can someone tell me how to install the bootloader or give me a freeldr.ini?
I have the same problem on one of my computers, I think it has to do with clustersize, that's the only thing that differs on that hd to the other ones, you could try to reformat it with standard cluster size, when I install ReactOS on that hd, ReactOS doesn't even recognize the size of the disk.
I have another OS on my drive and I don't want to reformat my hd, so I run from floppy which works well.

Nmn

Post by Nmn » Sat May 20, 2006 5:59 am

Ok, ive read through all of this. Your computer may have some non standard hardware.

I can recommend a few things:

- NEVER EVER trust anyone elses boot file. Reason: It IS generated during setup and for a good reason: Its probably going to vary from computer to another computer!

- Completly erase your harddrive. It may be possible in windows XP, but in my expierence, you can use any good control-panel type of program to do the job. That one that came with SuSE looks great. GUI and all. In windows XP, try start, press run, type diskmgmt.msc, press enter. If i can remember youll be at the disk manager and you can screw with your config. If you know what your doing it shouldnt be hard. If you dont know, just look for the only fat32 filesystem. Most NTs run NTFS luckily AND unluckly for us.

- Try using a debugger, write down what it says that seems significant. F8 can do special booting like so, but of course, the obvious fix is the debug option in the menu. Like duh.

- If you think you can help, Take some programming classes and help out. Im too lazy to go through so much code i run out of coke. Maybe i can use coffee instead?

- Virtual machines. Dont GET PIRTATED VERSIONS of COMMERCIAL ONES!!! eh hm. Sorry, had to... clear my throught :)

- If you get a virtual machine, bochs is no longer your friend. Its the worst virtual machine if you plan on running it ANY TIME SOON!

Hope my advice helps, half of it is definitally useless.

PS: IF YOU HAVE MULTITHREADING OR 2 CPUS, DISABLE IT!!! Bios can do it, or just turn it off or dont turn it on in reactos setup! Make sure you try VGA if VESA fails and visa versa.

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost » Sat May 20, 2006 6:45 am

Dont worry trhats not my boot file... :wink:
Can u tell us your hard ware configuration? It may be problem with compatibility .....
And as for virtualization try QEMU ....

ninjabob7

Post by ninjabob7 » Sun May 21, 2006 12:28 am

Nmn wrote:Ok, ive read through all of this. Your computer may have some non standard hardware.
Okay, I admit it. :D I'm trying to install it on a laptop. However, this laptop has a broken screen and battery, so it functions more like a desktop.
Nmn wrote: - Completly erase your harddrive. It may be possible in windows XP, but in my expierence, you can use any good control-panel type of program to do the job. That one that came with SuSE looks great. GUI and all. In windows XP, try start, press run, type diskmgmt.msc, press enter. If i can remember youll be at the disk manager and you can screw with your config. If you know what your doing it shouldnt be hard. If you dont know, just look for the only fat32 filesystem. Most NTs run NTFS luckily AND unluckly for us.
What do you mean completely? I deleted all my partitions and formatted the drive as one FAT32 partition. The only OSes I have on the machine right now are React and Puppy Linux, but I have a bunch of Linux live CD's, including some with partition tools.
Nmn wrote: - If you think you can help, Take some programming classes and help out. Im too lazy to go through so much code i run out of coke. Maybe i can use coffee instead?
I guess it's time for me to learn C. I keep looking for another language, but C is what almost all open source software is written in. Can anyone recommend some good tutorials?

Coviti

Post by Coviti » Sun May 21, 2006 1:42 am

If you have little or no prgramming experience, the book "C for Dummies" is an exellent starting point. If you have programming experience, here are some sites I found, but couldn't understand: ;)

http://www.its.strath.ac.uk/courses/c/
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html

This website will help too:

http://www.google.com/ ;)

GreyGhost

Post by GreyGhost » Sun May 21, 2006 6:24 am

If u want to ...u can get an iso of the svn too... or wait till 0.3 !!
Have u tried running the livecd on the laptop?

ninjabob7

Post by ninjabob7 » Mon May 22, 2006 4:04 am

Okay... Tried the livecd of 0.2.9, booted and looks great! Unfortunately doesn't have any programs... Then I installed 0.3 SVN (does that stand for subversion?) and it appears to install fine. It even added a working entry to freeldr.ini. Unfortunately, it's now stuck on a blank blue screen. I removed all the ReactOS files before reinstalling (except freeldr.ini), but didn't reformat because I also have a lightweight Linux on that partition. (and the setup said you can only have one primary part per drive - is that true?)

Going to try the 0.3 live cd... I'll post again once I try it.

Update: Tried the live cd. It crashed, giving me a lovely core dump (which I think ought to be called the Reactor Core Dump of Death). If anyone thinks they can make sense of it, I saved most of the information. It looks like it tried to byte off more than it could chew. :D Seriously, I think it crashed while loading acpi.sys.

Nmn

Post by Nmn » Mon May 22, 2006 5:04 am

Delete that file from the boot cd before burning a second time. I think its an extremely important file. Doesnt it relate to some critical bios functions? if so, someone who knows what it is... i would love to know.

Gosh... I thought it had to do with standby too. Whatever. I can simulate my moniter shutting off: make a dos program that uses a nonexistant vga mode.... Thats got nothing to do with standby however.