jeffbezos

ReactOS with over 4gb of ram?

Post by jeffbezos »

Is this possible?

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: ReactOS with over 4gb of ram?

Post by EmuandCo »

With the 64 bit version, yeah. With 32 bit, nope.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

jeffbezos

Post by jeffbezos »

EmuandCo wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:01 pm
With the 64 bit version, yeah. With 32 bit, nope.
i dont see an amd64 version on the website

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Thats right as it's still in internal testing. You can build it on your own if you want, but that I recommend to ask about on Mattermost chat then.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

justincase

Post by justincase »

It looks like Vadim Galyant may be doing some work toward PAE support on 32-bit ReactOS. I know this doesn't necessarily mean that we'll get full/working support for 4+ GB of RAM on x86 builds of ReactOS any time soon, but it is a glimmer of hope for those of us who want to see this feature working in ReactOS. Now lets all hope vgal makes some progress, keeps his code (and patches) clean enough to not get stuck in review hell (as has occurred with some of his previous work), makes a Pull Request and we can see improvements in the main ReactOS code base from these efforts.

Edit: Looks like Vadim has already made a Pull Request for this work. :)

Edit: And now the Pull Request has been accepted, and another PAE related commit has also made its way into the main ReactOS codebase, this time by Victor Perevertkin! ... Looks like it's not a functional change, but rather a quality of life improvement for people trying to compile a PAE enabled kernel by consolidating two required defines into one, but it still at least indicates multiple developers are at least doing something PAE related. :D

I haven't tried compiling ReactOS in a while... Is there any chance someone who's more 'in the know' than I am can comment on the current state of PAE support in ReactOS? Do these recent commits actually make it operational? or are they stepping stones toward that goal?
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.