ReactOS freezing during copying files

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
onestop_mid
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:05 am

ReactOS freezing during copying files

Post by onestop_mid » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:17 am

I have an eMachines e627 with 4GB ram and a 256GB SSD (SATA w/ IDE mode) and ReactOS installs fine up until 3-4% copying files depending on the time I boot it. I've tried it twice and the first time it froze at 4% copying a wine-gecko .msi thing, 2nd time froze at 3% at btrfs.sys. I entered through most of the install except set HDD to BTRFS. Help?

EDIT: Install freezes at btrfs.sys since the last test, about 3 more. Please help.

oldman
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: ReactOS freezing during copying files

Post by oldman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:40 am

You can choose not to down-load Wine Gecko; you can run ReactOS without it.

The BTRFS driver was updated to the latest one, yesterday, so down load the latest build and re-test.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - with some complementary scripts.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4317
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: ReactOS freezing during copying files

Post by EmuandCo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:46 pm

Whats happens if you leave the file system on FAT as the default is?
Image
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

onestop_mid
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:05 am

Re: ReactOS freezing during copying files

Post by onestop_mid » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:01 pm

EmuandCo wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:46 pm
Whats happens if you leave the file system on FAT as the default is?
Freezes at BTRFS.sys, still.

EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4317
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: ReactOS freezing during copying files

Post by EmuandCo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:17 pm

Hmmm... thats interesting... This device does not happen to have a serial port? https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Debugging
Image
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

karlexceed
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:17 pm
Contact:

Re: ReactOS freezing during copying files

Post by karlexceed » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:42 pm

It's a laptop; no serial port.

onestop_mid
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:05 am

Re: ReactOS freezing during copying files

Post by onestop_mid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:21 pm

karlexceed wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:42 pm
It's a laptop; no serial port.
How can I help, then?

karlexceed
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:17 pm
Contact:

Re: ReactOS freezing during copying files

Post by karlexceed » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:01 pm

How are you installing ROS? CD? Does that same CD work to install in say, a VM? (Is it a problem with the disc?)

Can you install a different OS via CD to that laptop? (Is it a problem with the CD drive?)

If you have a spare drive around, does it work if you install to a normal HDD rather than an SSD? (Is it a problem with the SSD?)

My suspicion is something to do with the SSD, but I have no evidence to back that up. Unfortunately, the lack of a serial port makes debugging hardware mostly guesswork.

onestop_mid
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:05 am

Re: ReactOS freezing during copying files

Post by onestop_mid » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:01 am

karlexceed wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:01 pm
How are you installing ROS? CD? Does that same CD work to install in say, a VM? (Is it a problem with the disc?)

Can you install a different OS via CD to that laptop? (Is it a problem with the CD drive?)

If you have a spare drive around, does it work if you install to a normal HDD rather than an SSD? (Is it a problem with the SSD?)

My suspicion is something to do with the SSD, but I have no evidence to back that up. Unfortunately, the lack of a serial port makes debugging hardware mostly guesswork.
CD is perfectly fine in VMware 15 Player, SSD is known to be good as I had a Windows 10, Lubuntu, and Windows 7 triple boot on it a while ago.

Illen
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: ReactOS freezing during copying files

Post by Illen » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:56 am

onestop_mid wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:01 am
CD is perfectly fine in VMware 15 Player, SSD is known to be good as I had a Windows 10, Lubuntu, and Windows 7 triple boot on it a while ago.
I assume you have tested that CD in a VM from the same optical drive, is that correct? Because to me, it sounds like a faulty optical drive or a CD/DVD itself.

onestop_mid
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:05 am

Re: ReactOS freezing during copying files

Post by onestop_mid » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:28 pm

Illen wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:56 am
onestop_mid wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:01 am
CD is perfectly fine in VMware 15 Player, SSD is known to be good as I had a Windows 10, Lubuntu, and Windows 7 triple boot on it a while ago.
I assume you have tested that CD in a VM from the same optical drive, is that correct? Because to me, it sounds like a faulty optical drive or a CD/DVD itself.
The CD was tested in a different computer, and using VMware I booted the VM from the CD and it installed in under 5 minutes, perfect installation, but the laptop's optical drive is also known to be good, as I installed Windows 7 using it. The issue is with ReactOS and I would like to know if there are any possible BIOS settings I can change, and I can make a list of ones I can change if needed.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests