Guys, you need a "spread the word" campaign!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

diddykong

Post by diddykong »

This was picking up some real enthusiasm and you all willing to help ReactOS in these ways, now its gone quiet!?

Lets have a reasonable debate perhaps, but I am simply saying that ReactOS is not yet ready to have a SpreadReactOS to consumers because ReactOS isnt developed and stable enough yet. What we first need to do is more like "Know about & Help ReactOS " campaigns of sorts to drum up awareness on many sites everywhere, spread the word, make it known people can help this great project arrive earlier by helping in many various ways, and also target recruit.

Then with more awareness, more contributors in the overall workforce things will pick up, speed up, and we can begin to shape out, develop, and recruit for a SpreadReactOS campaign to spread to a more consumer orientated audience!

This all needs to happen, could do so much for ReactOS that deserves this awareness, recognition, help and more, and I know a lot of you do too. So please comment and lets get on and do this, thankyou!!
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

I disagree

We know that we will need such a campaign in the future. But not now, the timing is not good. The audit is in process, developers are taking breaks, and there were not much developent recently, the mailing lists are empty, etc

PR are still important for the moment and there is now a new website, but I don't think that ReactOS is ready to be released for everyone. Reactos is still alpha, somewhat unstable and some important features are unimplemented/bugged.

It would give the project a very bad publicity, if it goes in public with drums and whistles, and then the people see that it is incomplete. Ordinary people won't understand that, won't feel the potential of the project, and they will only say "that sucks!".

We need to be sure that the first real contact is the good one. Then reactos could get momentum, and it could become very popular.

A good example of this is firefox, there were no spreadfirefox campaigns during the version 0.1
They started it just before version 1.0, then people (like me) tested it and they said "wow that's great! It's really better than IE!" Then they continued to use it.
Now firefox is very well known, and about 20% of internet users use it.

But I agree that it would be better for the project if there were more developers though. If you want to talk to others devs about reactos, feel free and go ahead. :wink:
Jaix
Moderator Team

Outlines...

Post by Jaix »

You seam to have it all clear in your mind, why don't you sketch on an outline wiht things that has to be done like a checklist to pick tasks to do from. Then we could get willing people here at ReactOS to start working for a united goal and winn some new resources. I think your ideas are great, so please get to it.
diddykong

Post by diddykong »

cmo: you've mis read or not read a lot of what I've said, that is exactly what I've been saying all along. ReactOS is not ready for promote to a commercial audience, its akin to Firefox 0.1. What we need to do is to inform many suitable sites, communities, inspire people to realise this is a great project and will be available sooner if they help in various ways. That can be testing, feedback, administrative, writing, help with mailing lists, bug reporting, all sorts, much of which outline here http://www.reactos.org/xhtml/en/dev_start.html . Developing contributions too are always needed and possible, of course, as clearly noted there and more.

I dont have it completely clear in my mind, I'm trying to get us all on a similar page as to what we need to do, to then brainstorm, form a team, outline tasks, projects, things people can do in they're field/circumstances, skills they have, contacts with sites, etc.

It would be good to start that a little here, and then do a fresh topic with say a 5 step plan of what will be done, how, who's involved, what the aims are, what will come afterwards (a SpreadReactOS campaign) and more.

I'm no Linux expert, again I am apart of the SpreadFirefox + Call to action team thats been working on a new improved SpreadFirefox since last June, which is about to get very exciting and innovative in terms of community marketing and more. I have also worked in marketing, advertising, business development and more. So my strength is knowing the broader things that need to be done and that will work, but if I'm honest my weakness is not knowing huge amounts about smaller suitable Linux, OS, IT related sites that should first be targetted with regards to information, press releases, call to action for help and contributions to ReactOS and more.

We need to start small, and progress. Once press articles are around, and we can show the next site an article, and say do a similar article, were in a position to progress to bigger and bigger sites. Plus, larger and larger sites like Cnet, Google Tech news, BBC will eventually pic up on articles in the IT, OS world inspiring readers, sectors in terms of Free fully windows compatible computing for all, and the more people help the sooner it'll arrive for all.
sfinx

Post by sfinx »

OK, I like what you are saying. A lot of us have been saying this before in this forum. Unfortunately, usually, it just stays with words.

I also agree that ROS does NOT need a 'spreadfirefox' campaign. That is something that should be kept for a later release, when ROS is way more mature and has basic features in place (networking, sound, graphics, etc...)

To be concrete: if we ever want to launch a 'findcoders' campaign to support ROS, we need a team. This is not a one man job. So, instead of talking, let us get something down onto paper and start an action plan. At least we will have a starting point then.

1) We need the support of 1 core developer who can explain to us newbies/non-coders what needs to happen on ROS. I am talking big features here: sound, networking, etc... It has to be something attractive, something concrete: "ROS needs sounds, or ROS needs networking. We are this far and this has to happen in order for it to work perfect".
The task itself should be very clear, with some very concrete boundaries. The more concrete the task, the more chance a new developer will give it a shot.

I am sure all this will be in some wiki somewhere, but that will just not do. If we want some new developers, we need to make sure the tasks are much more easily findable and concrete. If not, anyone would give up, as it would take to much to 'get into' the project.

2) We need a coordinator who is capable of dividing those tasks between the new developers. His only job is to grab the developers out of the forum, or incoming email messages and assign them to a task. Get them going. He can also give them the links to the wiki,... with more detailed info about the technical stuff.

3) We need a webmaster. It can be done on and by the standard reactos homepage/team, or it can be a separate website, but we need a special page and URL for the interested coders to visit. This page contains all the very easily accessible, attractive info what our core developer said should happen to ROS. Also there, we find 'we need coders'-buttons, etc... There, they find a giant contact-button which contacts the coordinator.

4) We need a designer. A good one. As everybody on the net seems to think they are capable of making buttons à la 'spreadfirefox', few really are. This designer could generate some cool buttons/banners/logo's/etc... to make the project more visually attractive. Also, he can design the layout of our special 'we need coders'-webpage.

5) We need a PR-person. This person would need to do 2 things. First: gathering email addresses of webmasters who are willing to help the project. Secondly: type out press releases and make up press dossiers. A dossier could contain the text itself + some buttons, the standard ROS logo, etc....

Only if everybody is ready with their job, the PR-person can send out the info. That way, the campaign is started at the same time and will have the highest possible impact.
New coders are then capable of visiting our webpage, contacting the coordinator and get going with their tasks. The core developer can easily watch any progress and communicate back with the coordinator to make more tasks.
If substantial progress would be made, the coordinator can communicate back to the PR-person, who can summarize everything. The progress can then be put on the webpage by the webmaster, or send out to our helping webmasters as press release...

So, to be REALLY concrete: let's find some people! Who wants to do what?

sfinx.
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

dunno if there's any designer up yet, ill give it a shot these days... check www.graeyart.be (graey.gr.funpic.de/indexpage.php) for an example of my design... It's also got a small cms in php behind it, which says fudge in the title half the time cause i originally wrote it for a bandsite of my friends, and was to lazy to change titles... however let me hear if you think its good, ill post some concepts around this weekend...
graeyart AT gmail DOT com
-graey-
sfinx

Post by sfinx »

Hey Geert, cool you are from Belgium. Me too. I am from Antwerp.

As for your graphic art. Who I am to judge your work! Viewing your deviantart gallery, however, it seems you are pretty good at abstract lines, etc...

Please do make a cool few buttons. Please keep in mind they are NOT to advertise ROS, but to find coders for ROS. I think 'linuxgx' is also going to give it a shot. Check out his thread: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1881

If we would have a few designs, maybe we can all vote for the best ones?

Any other people interested in doing any of the other jobs? 'diddykong' would you be interested in the PR position? You might already have some solid connections?

'Jaix', you seem to be a constant at this forums. Do you have any insight in the development of ROS? Enough to perhaps get the job of coordinator done? Or are your technical skills (like mine) limited to using software? :D

all the best!

sfinx.
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

sfinx wrote:Hey Geert, cool you are from Belgium. Me too. I am from Antwerp.

As for your graphic art. Who I am to judge your work! Viewing your deviantart gallery, however, it seems you are pretty good at abstract lines, etc...

Please do make a cool few buttons. Please keep in mind they are NOT to advertise ROS, but to find coders for ROS. I think 'linuxgx' is also going to give it a shot. Check out his thread: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1881

If we would have a few designs, maybe we can all vote for the best ones?

Any other people interested in doing any of the other jobs? 'diddykong' would you be interested in the PR position? You might already have some solid connections?

'Jaix', you seem to be a constant at this forums. Do you have any insight in the development of ROS? Enough to perhaps get the job of coordinator done? Or are your technical skills (like mine) limited to using software? :D

all the best!

sfinx.
sorry, im not from belgium, im dutch, and the domain name i got is .be because it was a free action thing... :D however ill try to create a reactos design this weekend, as I said... Looked at my scrap already? I've got some ROS things there... :D
-graey-
sfinx

Post by sfinx »

To get the creative juices flowing, here is a button I came up with:

[ external image ]

It's a transparent gif...

Let me know what you think!

Anybody else some designs? What about the other jobs?

all the best,

sfinx.
sfinx

Post by sfinx »

Some designs with different text:

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

[ external image ]

sfinx.
Last edited by sfinx on Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sfinx

Post by sfinx »

Or perhaps even an advertising banner:

[ external image ]
sfinx

Post by sfinx »

anybody?
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

cool 8)
Jaix
Moderator Team

Yes! Banners can help.

Post by Jaix »

Yes! This kind of banners can really help.
Many of us has own sites that we can use to spread the word, and yet more, I think many people are interested in helping spreading the word, this is a good start to get more coders, I encourage everyone to put a banner on your page and direct people to ReactOS homepage.
sfinx

Post by sfinx »

thanks for the replies...

I've updated some pages in the wiki with the icons, added a 'promote reactos' - section to the new wiki homepage, created a new forum topic here: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1900

all the best,

sfinx.